- Obama takes aim at ‘corporate deserters’
- Dick’s Sporting Goods lays off 478 PGA golf pros
- Senators: Cease-fire must allow Israel to defend against rockets, tunnels
- Sierra Leone doctor fighting Ebola catches disease
- Iraq welcomes Russian fighter jets, helicopter gunships into ISIL fight
- John McCain laments: Obama’s ‘self-pity … is really kind of sad’
- GOP offer to fix VA gives $10 billion in emergency funds
- Paul Ryan offers to repair U.S. economic safety net with a single grant stream
- Kim Jong-un builds bond with Putin: $250M Russia-backed addition to key port opens
- Pope Francis meets Meriam Ibrahim, a Sudanese woman sentenced to death
By Michael Widlanski
Leveling the battlefield to aid terrorists enables evil to fight on
Topic - Ted Loza
The former chief of staff for a D.C. Council member was sentenced Tuesday to eight months in prison for accepting $1,500 from a member of the taxicab industry who sought beneficial legislation.
After a day and a half of testimony, the sentencing of the former chief of staff for a D.C. Council member has been postponed until June 28.
Prosecutors and defense lawyers are arguing over the sentence a former D.C. council aide should receive in a taxicab bribery case.
Court documents show Michael Jackson's estate has earned more than $310 million since the singer's death, but is still dealing with a series of lawsuits and financial disputes.
Metropolitan Police Department officials said yesterday that they will not close the Latino Liaison Unit as part of a departmentwide restructuring plan.
"We're here united with our Latino community — as representatives of the heart of our Latino community in the District of Columbia — saying that, if anything, we need to expand on what we do have," said Ted Loza, chief of staff for D.C. Councilman Jim Graham, Ward 1 Democrat. "We want an expansion, not an elimination."
Mr. Loza said the rumors started with press reports that officers from the unit would be "redeployed," along with officers from specialized units for Asians, homosexuals, and the deaf and hard of hearing.