- Elton John blasts Russia’s anti-gay laws during Moscow concert
- U.N.: Afghanistan slow to enforce law protecting women
- Heart cancels SeaWorld concert after ‘Blackfish’ documentary
- South Carolina sheriff refuses to lower American flag for Nelson Mandela
- South Africans hold day of prayer for Nelson Mandela
- Mandela not on life support in final hours, friend says
- Ukraine protesters topple, decapitate Lenin statue in Kiev
- Kim Jong-un’s uncle removed from North Korean state documentary
- Thailand crisis deepens as opposition quits Parliament
- Campbell Soup apologizes for SpaghettiOs’ Pearl Harbor tweet
By Brahma Chellaney
Beijing's creeping aggression signals a challenge to U.S. presence in the Asian Pacific
Independent voices from the The Washington Times Communities
Topic - Texas Military Base
Nidal Hasan collected nearly $300,000 in his military salary while awaiting trial for the 2009 shooting rampage at Fort Hood, but his attorney said nearly all of it has been given to charity — likely making it impossible for his victims to get any of it.
The Fort Hood shooter is where he belongs, on death row, while his victims remain in limbo. In a fit of political correctness, the Obama administration decided to classify the 2009 massacre on the Texas military base as "workplace violence" instead of what it was: the assault of an Islamic militant upon our soldiers here at home. The real-life consequence of the designation is that the victims aren't being properly compensated for their loss.
One of Angela Rivera's saving graces after her husband was fatally shot at Fort Hood was his voicemail greeting. For years after Maj. Eduardo Caraveo was killed in 2009, Rivera had his cellphone kept active so she could call it and hear his voice telling her to leave a message.
Jurors deciding whether to impose a rare military death sentence on the Army psychiatrist who fatally shot 13 people at Fort Hood in 2009 heard testimony Monday from victims and their families, including a soldier who was expected to die after being shot in the head.
A military judge trying the Fort Hood shootings case has adjourned the trial for the day after the soldier accused in the deadly 2009 rampage refused to put up a fight on Wednesday, resting his case without calling a single witness or testifying in his own defense.
A federal investigator who responded to the 2009 shooting rampage at Fort Hood says the crime scene was gruesome, with bodies and medical equipment "all over the floor."
The soldier on trial for the 2009 shooting rampage at Fort Hood was allowed to continue representing himself on Thursday after the judge barred his standby attorneys from taking over, despite their claims that the Army psychiatrist was trying to secure his own death sentence.
Saying they feared a possible government cover-up, two senators issued subpoenas Monday to two of President Obama's Cabinet secretaries, ordering them to turn over documents related to the fatal shootings at Fort Hood, Texas, last year.