- Congressman: McAuliffe victory means gun control a winning message
- Clinton aide admits soliciting disgraced D.C. fundraiser; says actions were legal
- Joel Osteen church victimized in $600K theft
- Obama goes shopping at Gap as minimum-wage thanks
- N.J. woman charged after client dies from black-market butt injections
- CIA chief Brennan ‘determined’ to speak out more this year
- Reset? What reset? U.S.-Russia ties at worst since Cold War
- 9/11 terror recruiter released in Syrian prisoner swap
- D.C. elections board gives green light to marijuana legalization initiative
- Elephants can tell difference between human languages: study
An America drowning in red ink is the land of the free no more
Topic - The Quark Alliance
Kentucky Gov. Steve Beshear has been at the forefront of pushing initiatives aimed at reducing tobacco consumption and improving the health of a state plagued by some of the nation's worst disease rates.
Republican governors elected in 2010's tea party wave have generally made good on pledges to cut taxes and limit spending, according to the latest fiscal report card released Tuesday by the Cato Institute think tank, which graded the states' executives on their boldness is reining in government expansion.
A long-standing prohibition on openly carrying guns in Virginia state parks is set to officially end Monday, a victory for gun rights advocates after a protracted political battle that spanned four administrations.
NEWPORT NEWS, Va. (AP) -- Labor leaders representing steelworkers, the construction trades and shipbuilders added their collective clout Tuesday to the drive to develop offshore wind power in waters off Virginia.
Virginia Gov. Bob McDonnell is pressing ahead with a cost-cutting measure by proposing that the state save thousands by eliminating its dues to a 71-year-old, multistate compact to clean up the Potomac River. But the plan has drawn criticism from some who say the amount is a small investment in a major resource.
"We'll basically be taking these products from the field all the way through the manufacturing process," said Jeff Caldwell, a spokesman for Altria Group Inc., the parent of U.S. Smokeless Tobacco Co.
Altria opposes any tobacco tax increases, Caldwell said.