- Gentlemen, start your drones: Judge’s ruling opens door for commercial use
- Soldier who hid, bragged about not saluting flag to be punished — in secret
- ‘Maverick’ of the seas: ‘Top Gun’ school for U.S. ship officers to launch
- Putin declares Sochi Paralympics open amid Ukrainian protest
- ‘In Jesus name, we pray’ sparks ire at Ohio council meeting
- Navy’s first laser weapon ready for prime time; drone killer to deploy this summer
- Billionaire backer: Rick Santorum ‘needs to be heard’ in 2016
- Obamacare fallout: 49 percent pessimistic; 45 percent ‘scared’
- DHS accused of holding U.S. citizen at airport, using emails to pry into her sex life
- Seattle socialist: Minimum-wage discussion skewed by ‘right-wing’ GAO analysis
Latest Toni Atkins Items
Majority Democrats chose Assemblywoman Toni Atkins of San Diego on Wednesday to take over as Assembly speaker later this year, making it likely that the incoming leaders of both legislative chambers will come from the same half of California for the first time in nearly two decades.
At a time when other states are moving to restrict abortion services, California Democrats have pushed through two new laws that will permit nonphysicians such as midwives to perform abortion procedures in the first 12 weeks and will loosen building standards for abortion clinics.
Midwives and other health professionals will be permitted to perform first-trimester abortions under a bill passed by the California legislature.
Democratic California Gov. Jerry Brown has a ticking time bomb on his desk: He must sign a recently passed bill by Sunday for it to become law.