- Seattle socialist: Minimum-wage discussion skewed by ‘right-wing’ GAO analysis
- U.N. warns of Muslim ‘cleansing’ in Central African Republic
- Senate blocks change to military sex assault cases
- Drug mix may have cured child born with HIV, doctors say
- De Blasio’s wife irks former mansion chef with ‘servant’ remark
- Russia’s neighbors shiver amid Putin’s Cold War moves in Ukraine
- New SAT: The essay portion is to become optional
- Military group can’t march to honor the fallen at Boston Marathon due to security changes
- Senate passes bills deleting ‘retarded’ from laws
- China announces biggest military hike in 3 years: We are not ‘boy scouts with spears’
United States Senate
Latest United States Senate Items
Treasury Secretary Timothy F. Geithner said Wednesday that extending the Bush-era tax cuts for the wealthier would be a $700 billion mistake.
Congress is poised to extend a taxpayer-funded lifeline to cash-strapped states after the Senate on Wednesday advanced another round of $26 billion in stimulus spending for teachers and health care, and House Democrats said they will break their six-week summer vacation to return to Washington to vote on it next week.
The Senate on Wednesday tossed a taxpayer-funded lifeline to financially strapped states, advancing a bill that would extend parts of last year's stimulus bill to cover more health care costs and fund more state and local government jobs.
Democratic leaders in Washington haven't changed politics despite promises to do so, and dealing with the national debt and looming Medicare and Social Security insolvencies will demand higher taxes on wealthier Americans and fewer corporate tax breaks, U.S. Senate candidate Joe Sestak said Monday.
The failure of a climate bill in the U.S. Senate is likely to weigh heavily on international negotiations that begin Monday on a new agreement to control global warming.
The U.S. Senate is derelict in its duty if it votes to confirm Elena Kagan to the Supreme Court without further investigating her legal ethics.
A new poll shows Californians are split between the Democratic and Republican candidates in the contests for governor and U.S. Senate.
A deft strategy has emerged from the Latino Partnership for Conservative Principles, which has launched "Vota Tus Valores" — vote your values — a $1 million voter-outreach campaign to educate Hispanic voters about the pro-life/traditional marriage/free-enterprise platform of U.S. Senate candidate Carly Fiorina in California.
The United States told Scotland it was “far preferable” to free the Lockerbie bomber than have him transferred to a Libyan jail, leaked documents showed Sunday amid renewed U.S. criticism of the release.