- Pope Francis wins another ‘Person of the Year’ — from gay rights magazine
- Rep. Steve Stockman: Give my campaign $10, and you’ll get an Obama barf bag
- Putin: Russia to buy $15 billion in Ukraine bonds
- Expert: Obamacare ‘death spiral’ fears exaggerated
- Alabama firefighters dig for survivors of apartment blast
- Big Sur wildfire destroys home of firefighting chief
- ‘ ’Twas the Night Before Christmas’ set for mock trial to argue authorship
- Angela Merkel’s third term as Germany’s chancellor to be marked by move to left
- Mega Millions entices with record-setting jackpot: Half a billion so far
- Dennis Rodman heads to North Korea — despite execution, political purge
university of texas at austin
Latest university of texas at austin Items
Television programming is interrupted by a breaking news story unfolding someplace in the United States. A deranged shooter has opened fire on everyday Americans at a school, shopping mall or public meeting. We are at first dazed, then incredulous and finally grief-stricken. It just keeps happening - but why - and more importantly, what can be done to prevent tragedies like the one in Tucson, Ariz.?
The powerhouse University of Maryland-Baltimore County squad did not capture the recent collegiate team chess championship, but GM Sergey Erenburg, UMBC's second board, bounced back with a fine second-place result in the strong Berkeley International, which concluded Jan. 8.
Today, as mobile technology puts computers in our pockets, Hispanics and blacks are more likely than the general population to access the Web by cellular phones, and they use their phones more often to do more things. But now some see a new "digital divide" emerging — with Hispanics and blacks being challenged by more, not less, access to technology.
Texas offensive coordinator Greg Davis has resigned and two other assistant coaches are retiring after the Longhorns' first losing season since 1997.
ESPN says it is pursuing a deal with the University of Texas to distribute the school's proposed Longhorn Network on cable television.
With a well-funded, centrist Houston mayor running for governor at the top of the ballot, Texas Democrats were hopeful that the party would defy expectations in the 2010 midterm elections and knock off the nation's second-longest-serving governor in one of the nation's reddest states.
Some ancient penguins may have been twice as big as today's Emperor penguin but they lacked the dashing tuxedo. Researchers unearthed remains of a nearly 5-foot-tall penguin that roamed what is now Peru about 36 million years ago, and they also discovered fossilized feathers that show back then, the flightless bird was a more motley mix of reddish-brown and gray.
Oklahoma has suspended receiver Jaz Reynolds indefinitely after he posted what coach Bob Stoops called "insensitive remarks" on his Twitter page about a gunman who committed suicide on the University of Texas campus.
A man wearing a ski mask opened fire with an AK-47 inside a University of Texas library Tuesday morning, then fatally shot himself, police said.