- ‘Tis the Season: London florist creates $4.6 million Christmas wreath
- No tailgating allowed at Super Bowl XLVIII
- Pentagon to transport African troops to Central African Republic
- Chinese man fed up with his girlfriend’s shopping jumps to his death
- Ukraine leader to talk with protesters; Washington urges caution
- Pope Francis: A nun saved my life
- Israeli P.M. Netanyahu backs out of Mandela funeral
- Elian Gonzalez makes first trip outside Cuba since custody battle
- U.S., British intelligence agents enter online sci-fi world to spy on gamers
- Sarah Palin to host the outdoors show ‘Amazing America’
Wolf Trap'S Filene Center
Latest Wolf Trap'S Filene Center Items
Fast-rising soprano Corinne Winters, just 30, will bring an infusion of youth to the role of Violetta when the Wolf Trap Opera Company performs "La Traviata" at Wolf Trap's Filene Center in Vienna. Miss Winters, a native of Frederick, Md., is making her American debut in the role after performing it in opera houses abroad.
A sultry summer thunderstorm rolled over Wolf Trap's Filene Center on Thursday evening, drenching the throng of lawn-seat ticket holders outside the auditorium. They, and the nearly full house inside, were there to catch a one-time-only concert performance of Georges Bizet's opera "Carmen," headlined by an even sultrier mezzo-soprano, Denyce Graves, the definitive Carmen of our time.
Happy birthday, U.S.A.