- Israel hits symbols of Hamas rule; scores killed
- Mississippi abortion law can’t be enforced
- Teacher who survived Sandy Hook has book deal
- Jury awards Jesse Ventura $1.8M in case vs. ‘American Sniper’ author Chris Kyle
- Government OKs Arab-owned company to operate U.S. cargo port
- Defense lawyer: McDonnell’s wife had ‘crush’ on CEO
- Chinese hackers stole ‘huge quantities’ of sensitive data on Israel’s Iron Dome
- House unveils bill to speed deportations of illegal immigrant children
- Californians protest middle school for hiring white man to teach cultural studies
- Killer’s sentencing overturned because mother couldn’t find seat in courtroom
Latest Woody Guthrie Items
At least two of eight custom-made Gibson guitars crafted with wood salvaged from the childhood home of folk legend Woody Guthrie will be auctioned off to the public this week.
Work on the rebuild of folk legend Woody Guthrie's boyhood home is scheduled to begin in mid-March so it can to be finished before an annual summer festival that celebrates the singer's life, a project manager said Friday.
The Woody Guthrie Center in Tulsa says it is moving forward with plans to honor American folk singer Pete Seeger next month.
Buoyed by his characteristically soaring spirit, the surging crowd around him and a pair of canes, Pete Seeger walked through the streets of Manhattan leading an Occupy Movement protest in 2011.
An award that honors those who embody the spirit of legendary folk singer and songwriter Woody Guthrie is scheduled to be presented to American folk singer Pete Seeger.
As a teenager growing up outside Denver, Judy Collins and a few friends used to hike up Lookout Mountain to listen to musicians play folk music. It was there that she saw a man wearing overalls and an engineer's hat named Martin Hoffman singing a song called "Deportee (Plane Wreck at Los Gatos)." It was the first Woody Guthrie song she ever heard.
Pete Seeger, "A More Perfect Union" and "Pete Remembers Woody" (Appleseed Recordings)
Folk singer and native Oklahoman Woody Guthrie was "probably not one of the favorite sons" when he was alive, a state senator said. But Guthrie's legacy has inspired a celebration in honor of his 100th birthday this Sunday at the annual festival in his hometown of Okemah.
This square is his square.