News item (from tomorrow’s print edition):
Maryland sophomore tailback Pha’Terrell Washington is academically ineligible and will not return in the fall, a team spokesman confirmed Tuesday.
And here’s 10 Phun Pha’Terrell-related Phacts, some of which actually impact the Maryland football program in 2008.
1. Washington’s departure drops Maryland to 90 scholarship players for this season. Usually, a handful of incoming freshmen go the prep school or grayshirt routes. So Maryland is getting a little closer to the NCAA maximum of 85, which it doesn’t have to do until school begins in August.
2. With Washington out of the tailback equation, it’s a virtual certainty that the first true freshman Ralph will mention when asked about playing time will be either Gary Douglas or Davin Meggett. Those two are expected to join sophomores Da’Rel Scott and Morgan Green as the Terrapins’ only scholarship tailbacks next season.
3. Washington never played a down for Maryland. So in terms of exactly what the Terps are losing, it’s hard to say.
4. Washington did not travel to any road games last season, so it’s even harder to figure out what precisely the Terps are losing.
5. The 6-foot, 202-pounder was behind walk-on Rashad Henry on the depth chart in mid-April, and was grouped with walk-on Dan Bonato as one of two options as the No. 4 tailback. Maybe Maryland isn’t losing much.
6. Washington did play in the spring game in a limited capacity in April. Washington had 4 yards on five carries, as well as an 18-yard kickoff return.
7. Tailback was not the Westlake High product’s original position. Washington was recruited as a cornerback, and switched to offense in the spring of 2007.
8. While it’s never good to see a kid derailed by academics, Washington’s history doesn’t make it too much of a surprise. He did not participate in camp last August to concentrate on his final summer classes – and becoming eligible for ‘07. By the time he returned, he was pretty much buried on the scout team all season.
9. Out of a desire to come up with a phull list of phacts, here’s one from the vault: Maryland phans will best remember Washington for his go-ahead touchdown run in the 2007 spring game. His numbers that day for the victorious White team: Nine carries, 29 yards.
10. Maryland added 22 players (all of these guys, plus the deleted Melvin Alaeze) on Signing Day ‘06, and a little more than two years later the Terps are down to 17 in the program. Alaeze never made it to campus, and four other guys have left the program (Washington, Chris Clinton, Jeremy Ricker and Taji Thornton).