Williams, of course, had Tapscott on his staff at American, and Tapscott was later the Eagles’ head coach.
Joining Tapscott on the Wizards bench is assistant Randy Ayers – who was an assistant to Williams at Ohio State.
“My pro tree,” Williams said.
In case anyone’s wondering, here are a few former Maryland assistants in notable places in the college game today:
* Rick Barnes: The Texas coach worked under Williams for a season at Ohio State
* Dave Dickerson: Now at Tulane, Dickerson was a Maryland assistant for nine years – including the two Final Four teams.
* Fran Dunphy: Worked under Williams at American; now in charge at Temple
* Billy Hahn: Williams’ long-time top assistant is now stylishly serving the same role at West Virginia
* Mike Lonergan: Spent a year with the Terps before parlaying his Division III national title at Catholic into the Vermont gig
* Jimmy Patsos: Worked for 13 years at Maryland until he landed the Loyola job; makes occasional forays into the stands to avoid technical fouls.
And, in case anyone’s wondering, here are a handful of recent players in the coaching biz as assistants – though I can’t promise this is a comprehensive list:
* Matt Hahn: Vermont assistant
* Tahj Holden: Monmouth director of basketball operations
* Matt Kovarik: Loyola assistant