Maryland didn’t play and enjoyed a very, very good night.
There were nine games of note, and five went Maryland’s way.
Here’s a rundown of the good and the bad for the Terps tonight:
* Virginia Tech loses at home to North Carolina. Hokies fall back to 7-8, giving Maryland an excellent chance to wrap up the No. 7 seed in the ACC tournament.
* Boston College loses at N.C. State. BC still is in good shape, but the Eagles can’t free-fall. Plus, N.C. State is back inside the top-100 in all probability after this.
* Miami loses at Georgia Tech. An absolutely crippling blow for the Hurricanes, who are guaranteed a losing conference record.
* Kentucky loses at home to Georgia. This is somehow even worse than Miami’s loss. The Wildcats have a lot of work to do.
* Florida loses at Mississippi State. That’s three straight losses for the Gators, and equally desperate Kentucky is coming to Gainesville this weekend.
* Texas A&M wins at Colorado. Of course, the Aggies should have won this game, and it only solidifies them as a tournament contender.
* Minnesota upends Wisconsin. The Golden Gophers right the ship a bit and avoid teetering closer to the bubble.
* UNLV survives Air Force. They got out the peach baskets in Vegas as the Runnin’ Rebs won 46-43 and avoided a humiliating loss.
* San Diego State upends Colorado State. The Aztecs aren’t a huge factor, but beating a middling Colorado State team keeps them on the fringe of the discussion.
In short: Maryland received a lot of help tonight. Now, the Terps have to go out and help themselves this weekend in Charlottesville.