- The Washington Times - Tuesday, February 15, 2000

District of Columbia police yesterday issued arrest warrants for two men suspected in the shooting deaths of two Woodrow Wilson High School students a week ago, Chief Charles H. Ramsey said yesterday.

Carlton F. Blount, 19, of the 1600 block of Fuller St. NW, and Jermaine Antuon Johnson, 24, of Suitland, Md., are accused of first-degree murder in the slayings of Andre Wallace and his girlfriend, Natasha Marsh. The two 17-year-old high school students were gunned down in front of Natasha's Brookland home while they were unloading groceries.

Andre, captain of the Woodrow Wilson High School football team, and Natasha will be buried next to each other during funeral services today.

Chief Ramsey said the warrants were issued after witnesses told a Superior Court grand jury about the shootings. He would not disclose anything about the witnesses or their testimony.

"It was enough to establish probable cause in order to get the warrants," the chief said. "This may not bring back those young people whose lives were snuffed out, but it could give some comfort to their families."

Police questioned Mr. Blount last week about the shootings, but released him because they did not have enough evidence to charge him. Since those interviews, police have also been looking for Mr. Johnson, who they believe drove a sport utility vehicle used in the shooting.

A police source said they have not recovered the gun used, and that there was little evidence found in the sport utility vehicle the two are believed to have driven. The vehicle was impounded by police Thursday after an employee at a College Park, Md., dealership called police and said the vehicle had been dropped off for service on Wednesday.

D.C. police said a black 1997 Ford Expedition pulled up outside the house on Feb. 8 in the 3600 block of 17th Street NE and at least one person opened fire, hitting Andre and Natasha, both seniors at the high school, repeatedly in the head and body.

Police believe the shooting was in retaliation for a fight earlier that day during the last minutes of a basketball game against Coolidge High School. The fight involved several teen-agers and apparently erupted when another teen-ager approached Natasha, police say.

A videotaped recording of the fight shows Andre battling another youth, who is a suspect in the shooting, police said. It was not clear last night if the youth in the videotape is Mr. Blount.

A young man named Jermaine Johnson went to the 6th District police station on Thursday after he saw a television report that police were looking for someone with his name. But he told police he was not the Jermaine Johnson they were looking for, and police did not detain him.

Andre, a wide receiver and a drum major, lived with his mother in a transitional housing building run by Partner Arms in the 900 block of Kennedy Street NW.

Andre also had played on the school's basketball team in years past, but chose not to play this year, friends said.

Natasha was a member of Wilson High's Academy of Finance.

Funeral services will be held today for Andre and Natasha at Bible Way Church, 1100 New Jersey Ave., NW. There will be a viewing at 9 a.m. followed by the funeral service at 11 a.m.

Sign up for Daily Newsletters

Copyright © 2019 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times welcomes your comments on Spot.im, our third-party provider. Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.


Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide