- The Washington Times - Friday, September 8, 2000

District of Columbia police and Metro officials are investigating the death of an unidentified man who was struck and killed yesterday by a subway train in a tunnel on the Green Line near the Shaw-Howard University Metro stop.
A conductor discovered the man's body about 10:08 a.m. while operating a train heading from the U Street-Cardozo Station toward the Shaw Station, authorities said. The conductor stopped the train after spotting the body.
The man, who had no identification on his person, had been struck about 9:55 a.m. by an earlier train, a Metro spokesman said. Officials found the earlier train and examined its exterior for bloodstains.
Metro officials said both conductors the one who found the body and the one who drove the train that hit the man were tested for drugs and alcohol yesterday.
D.C. fire Battalion Chief Geoffrey Grambo said the man was found in the tunnel about 250 feet from the platform where trains enter the Shaw Station coming from the U Street Station.
"He was found right in the gutter between the running rail and the wall," said Chief Grambo, adding that the man suffered massive head trauma and also could have been shocked to death. "There are things in there the switches that are electrified."
Metro spokesman Ray Feldmann said approximately 200 passengers spent more than an hour on board, though firefighters evacuated them in less than 40 minutes through the rear of the four-car train.
Police are investigating the death as an accident. Autopsy results should be released today.
The tunnel where the man was found connects one of the subway system's shortest spans between stations 3,000 feet. Chief Grambo and others said the man must have deliberately walked into the tunnel, as opposed to being pushed.
Metro and police sources speculated that the man might have been walking into the tunnel along its 24-inch catwalk and been blown off by a passing train.
Access to the catwalk is supposed to be limited to Metro maintenance workers, but the gate that closes off the walkway is unlocked and easily breached.
Police said the man was carrying a bag containing a water bottle and an orange vest similar to those worn by Metro employees.
"We have checked with the station managers and they don't recall anyone doing track work there," Mr. Feldmann said. "And when we do track work, we usually go in groups of two."

Copyright © 2018 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times welcomes your comments on Spot.im, our third-party provider. Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.


Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide