- The Washington Times - Sunday, August 12, 2001

Maryland police and prison officials took the unusual step of going on the Internet to offer a reward for information leading to the arrest of the killer or killers of Cpl. Gregory Guy Collins, a prison guard at the Eastern Correctional Institution in Princess Anne, Md.
"The reward is unprecedented in the 13 years I have been here," said Leonard A. Sipes Jr., spokesman for state police and prisons.
Gov. Parris N. Glendening approved $5,000 from the Department of Public Safety and Correctional Services to be added to the $5,000 that citizens have offered for information that might identify the killer of Cpl. Collins.
Cpl. Collins, 31, completed his usual 4 p.m.-to-midnight shift on prison guard duty at the correctional facility June 3. He started up his Toyota pickup truck, the one with oversized wheels, and began the 40-mile drive home to his wife and 5-month-old daughter in tiny Brookview, Md.
When Cpl. Collins didn't arrive home the next morning, his wife, Lena, called police.
They found the pickup in the woods along Indiantown Road, just 21/2 miles from home. Its passenger side was crumpled, the rear window was missing, and several bullet holes had punctured the back of the cab.
Cpl. Collins was inside — dead. A bullet had pierced the back of his head. Cpl. Collins apparently was killed about 1 a.m.
"It appears he was shot from behind while driving," said police spokesman Cpl. Rob Moroney. "This was absolutely not a suicide."
Nearly two dozen police officers closed off the rural road for several hours and searched the woods along Marshy Hope Creek for clues, apparently without success.
Police have released no other information about the crime scene or the investigation, saying that revealing the type of weapon or weapons used, the number of shots and any elements of possible robbery might interfere with the capture of one or more killers.
Neither would authorities speculate whether the shooting might have been set up by an inmate or inmates at the Eastern Correctional Institution. Usually, inmates with grudges attack their guards inside prison walls.
Cpl. Collins' stepmother, Cheryl Collins, was grateful for the reward offer and the increased possibility of catching the killer or killers.
"We encourage anybody who might have information to contact police," Mrs. Collins said.
According to eulogies at his funeral, Cpl. Collins set goals and was resolute in achieving them. He was a lifelong resident of Dorchester County, except for his years spent in the Marine Corps and overseas in the Persian Gulf war.
While a student at North Dorchester High School, the chunky young Collins persuaded Cornell Stanley to join him on the track and cross-country teams. They were co-captains their senior year in 1988, and the high school won the state championship for the first time.
As a teen-ager, Cpl. Collins got teammate Stanley to join the Marines, where young Collins became an artillery specialist, serving overseas. Upon discharge, he joined the 115th Military Police Battalion of the Maryland National Guard in Salisbury and went overseas for the Gulf war.
Meanwhile, Officer Stanley became a guard at the Eastern Correctional Institution, and then persuaded military veteran Collins to become a guard there in 1998.

Sign up for Daily Newsletters

Copyright © 2019 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times welcomes your comments on Spot.im, our third-party provider. Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.


Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide