- The Washington Times - Saturday, August 18, 2001

Hotel fire kills 70 in Philippines
MANILA — At least 70 people, most of them participants at a weekend religious gathering, were killed in a pre-dawn fire in a hotel in Manila early today.
Radio station DZRH said most of the guests at the Quezon City Manor House hotel were delegates at a Christian charismatic seminar-workshop.

China sentences Falun Gong members
BEIJING — Flanked by police officers in a brightly lit courtroom, four suspected members of the banned Falun Gong spiritual sect were sentenced to prison yesterday for organizing a mass suicide attempt last year on Tiananmen Square, state media and a court official said.
A mother and her 12-year-old daughter died in the group self-immolation, officials said.

Bio-warfare talks continue without U.S.
GENEVA — Major powers have agreed to hold more talks on strengthening a ban on biological weapons despite Washington's rejection of a draft protocol at negotiations in Geneva, the negotiating committee chairman said yesterday.
The protocol discussed in Geneva would have set up an enforcement regime for the 1972 Biological and Toxin Weapons Treaty for carrying out on-site inspections of military and biotech sites to prevent nations from cheating.

Terrorists sentenced in Shevardnadze attack
TBILISI, Georgia — Thirteen persons, including a onetime finance minister, were sentenced yesterday to prison terms of up to 20 years for involvement in an armed attack on President Eduard Shevardnadze in 1998.
Mr. Shevardnadze was unharmed, but two of his bodyguards were killed.

Newspaper owners jailed on tax charges
SEOUL — South Korea jailed three prominent newspaper owners yesterday on charges they evaded millions of dollars in taxes or embezzled funds, but officials denied they were trying to muzzle the press.
The three main newspapers have accused President Kim Dae-jung of using the tax investigation to stifle his critics in the media.

Khmer Rouge leader apologizes for genocide
PHNOM PENH, Cambodia — A prominent Khmer Rouge leader has offered a rare apology for the widespread killings during the regime's 1970s rule but said he had no hand in the atrocities.
The statement by Khieu Samphan, 70, comes as preparations gather speed for convening a U.N.-assisted genocide tribunal. He is likely to be a leading defendant.


Copyright © 2018 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times welcomes your comments on Spot.im, our third-party provider. Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.

 

Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide