- The Washington Times - Friday, August 31, 2001

Headquarters-heavy
One way Army Secretary Thomas White is dealing with the new Defense Planning Guidance is to examine whether positions can be cut from headquarters staff and converted into warfighters.
The idea is to create a leaner "tail" and increase the "teeth" and just maybe lessen the time soldiers are away from their families.
Reducing deployment stress on the force is one mandate from Defense Secretary Donald H. Rumsfeld's five-year DPG. Army sources say Mr. White hopes to have several studies on the headquarters issue completed in time for a decision in the fiscal 2003 budget, which goes to Congress early next year.
The Army has discussed cutting headquarters staffs by 10 percent to 15 percent at the Pentagon and such outposts as Training and Doctrine Command, Forces Command and Materiel Command.
"If you have more people available to fill spots, you have less days away from families," said one source.
Mr. White is adamant in wanting to keep Army active strength at around 480,000 soldiers. Army officials believe they have won the internal battle not to cut the Army by one or two active divisions, as some Rumsfeld aides proposed. Sources said the Army asked the aides how they could ask the Army to cut its overworked force with no matching reductions in missions worldwide.
Instead, the Army will likely propose to Mr. Rumsfeld an increase in combatants at the expense of headquarters positions and a shift in permanent troop deployments to better address 21st-century threats.

Army pilots
The Army's Training and Doctrine Command (Tradoc) at Fort Monroe, Va., is transforming basic officer training into a new program, the Basic Officer Leader Course (BOLC). By the looks of one memo coming out of the command, the pilot program is not marching smoothly.
"We have received word from PersCom that not all branches are on line with their BOLC Phase II pilot," the memo begins, before detailing problems in meeting a fiscal 2003 deadline.
One Army source told us the problem is that Tradoc wants the various Army branches, such as artillery and infantry, to conduct the Phase II pilots with little in new resources.
"Several branches have planned to merge an existing OBC course and their BOLC Phase II pilot into one class or have planned to merge the two for select blocks of training," the memo states. "These are acceptable solutions as long as the branch conducts a distinct pilot and is able to validate their [program]."

Intercepts
A week after President Bush tapped Air Force Gen. Richard Myers as the next Joint Chiefs chairman, some Navy officials remain flabbergasted that their man, Adm. Vern Clark, didn't get the job. Sources say the signals from the White House were so strong that a search had already begun for the next chief of naval operations.
Aides say Defense Secretary Rumsfeld and Deputy Secretary Paul Wolfowitz maintain demanding work schedules. Mr. Wolfowitz doesn't take breaks between a heavily booked schedule of meetings. Mr. Rumsfeld works 61/2-day weeks. He eschews a chair at his desk, preferring to work standing up. If hosting a meeting, he sits at his conference table.
Neither man is continuing the practice of glad-handing visiting VIPs, preferring to work on the ongoing military transformation.
Administration officials says the Bush team came to the Pentagon believing the building had been run too long by the admirals and generals, without adequate civilian oversight.
Mr. Wolfowitz told us that wasn't his mind-set. "I don't believe we come in with superior wisdom or the ability to tell everybody what to do and have it work that way," he told us. He added, "I think there was a sort of neglect here. There was a semiconscious decision to get by with inadequate resources for what we were trying to do. It was a sort of impossible problem for anyone to manage."
The National Guard Association of the United States reports that Air Force Secretary James Roche concedes the Pentagon bungled its proposal to cut the B-1B fleet by one-third and close facilities in Georgia and Kansas. "We didn't do the B-1 well," Mr. Roche told National Guard officers gathered in Indianapolis. Lawmakers complained they got zero consultation from the Air Force before word of the cuts leaked.

China-Iran cooperation
U.S. intelligence agencies have identified a Chinese firm in Hong Kong that is being used as a front company for covert shipments of U.S. aircraft components to Iran.
Intelligence officials tell us that the company, ANA Training Ltd., provided U.S.-origin spare parts for Iran's C-130 transport aircraft. The transfer was detected late last month. The spare-parts shipments are intended to keep the Iranian military's fleet of C-130 aircraft flying.
The aircraft were purchased from the United States before Islamic fundamentalists took over Iran in 1979. The United States has an embargo on Iran that prohibits the transfer of military items, such as the C-130 spare parts.

USS Greeneville
Navy Adm. Thomas R. Fargo, commander of the U.S. Pacific Fleet, says that the American and Japanese people got a "full accounting" of the submarine accident involving the attack submarine USS Greeneville and a Japanese fishing boat off Hawaii.
Adm. Fargo, however, told a conference in Chicago on military-press relations that he had one regret as a commander handling the high-profile disaster. He wished he had revealed sooner the fact that a civilian visitor was at the submarine's steering wheel, while supervised, as the vessel made a rapid ascent — unknowingly beneath the Japanese boat Ehime Maru.
"What we didn't know was that a civilian had been in control," Adm. Fargo said in recounting the incident. "When we did learn about it, we didn't move quickly enough to make it public. In retrospect, that clearly was a mistake."
Instead of the Navy disclosing the civilian's role, CNN broke the story, putting the Navy on the defensive in an already embarrassing episode.
About 60 senior military officers, defense officials and reporters gathered at the estate of the late Col. Robert R. McCormick, publisher of the Chicago Tribune. It is part of a twice-yearly series on media-military relations sponsored by the McCormick Tribune Foundation.
An earlier speaker, Michael B. Suessmann, former assistant inspector general at the Pentagon, said his office investigated about 300 cases a year, 80 percent of which are dismissed without any finding of misconduct. Mr. Suessmann talked about the difficulties in investigating senior defense and military officials. The Pentagon, he said, wants such cases to "go away as quickly and quietly as possible."


Copyright © 2018 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times welcomes your comments on Spot.im, our third-party provider. Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.

 

Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide