- The Washington Times - Saturday, December 1, 2001

First recipient of artificial heart dies
CHICAGO Robert Tools, 59, who made medical history by becoming the first person to be given a fully implantable artificial heart, died yesterday from complications of severe internal bleeding, his doctors said.
Mr. Tools passed away in Jewish Hospital in Louisville, Ky., where almost five months earlier he was given the plastic-and-titanium experimental heart in the first operation of its kind in the world.

Researchers find way to make brain cells
Two separate teams of international researchers said yesterday they had found reliable ways to coax human embryonic stem cells into becoming brain cells.
Their work is a step forward in the busy but contentious field of stem-cell research, which scientists say holds the promise of treating a range of diseases from brain damage to diabetes, but which critics say kills human embryos.
Both teams, writing in the journal Nature Biotechnology, said they coaxed the stem cells into becoming the three types of brain cells astrocytes, oligodendrocytes and mature neurons.
They transplanted the cells into the brains of newborn mice and saw them spread throughout the brains, take up residence and begin to work.

Police arrest suspect linked to 49 murders
SEATTLE Police in Seattle yesterday said they arrested a man linked to the murders of up to 49 women and girls, many of them prostitutes and runaways, in the Green River killings that haunted Washington state in the 1980s.
King County Sheriff Dave Reichert told at a news conference that Gary Ridgeway, 52, a trucking company painter from Auburn, Wash., was directly linked to four murders by DNA and by other evidence to many other bodies found in the Pacific Northwest.
A longtime suspect, police said Mr. Ridgeway unwittingly provided a DNA sample 17 years ago by agreeing to chew on a piece of gauze.
As DNA analysis improved over the years, police were finally able to confirm Mr. Ridgeway's involvement, Sheriff Reichert said.

12-year-old charged with killing grandparents
CHESTER, S.C. A 12-year-old boy was charged yesterday with killing his grandparents with a shotgun and then setting their house on fire before fleeing in their sport utility vehicle.
The boy, whose name was not released because of his age, was charged with arson and two counts of murder, prosecutor Michael Hemlepp said.
The boy shot his grandparents in the head in a bedroom at their home Wednesday night, then set the house on fire, Chester County Deputy Bernie Culpepper said. The SUV got stuck on a dirt road about 20 miles from the home, and hunters who found him contacted authorities.

Sign up for Daily Newsletters

Manage Newsletters

Copyright © 2020 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.

Please read our comment policy before commenting.


Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide