- The Washington Times - Thursday, December 13, 2001


An Air Force B-1B bomber flying a long-range combat mission to Afghanistan crashed in the Indian Ocean yesterday. A Navy ship pulled all four crew members to safety.

"We're all pretty bruised up and have some cuts, but overall we're doing very well," the bomber's pilot, Capt. William Steele, told reporters at the Pentagon in a satellite telephone call from the USS Russell, the guided-missile destroyer that launched a small boat to rescue the crew in darkness.

Capt. Steele spoke about five hours after his B-1B Lancer crashed into the warm waters 60 miles north of Diego Garcia, a British-controlled island in the central Indian Ocean.

He said the crew spent two hours in the water before the Russell came to their rescue, aided by an Air Force KC-10 that first located the downed fliers, maintained radio contact and pinpointed their location for the Russell.

The B-1B was the first U.S. airplane lost in the war in Afghanistan, which entered its 67th day yesterday. Air Force B-1Bs and B-52s have made almost daily bombing runs over Afghanistan from the start; in recent weeks they have been pounding al Qaeda mountain hide-outs in the Tora Bora region.

Capt. Steele said his bomber suffered multiple malfunctions which he declined to discuss in detail which caused it to go "out of control." He ruled out hostile fire as a cause for the bomber's malfunctions.

He said he was not allowed to say whether he was heading toward or away from Afghanistan at that point, but Pentagon officials said the B-1B was about 100 miles north of Diego Garcia en route to Afghanistan when the crew declared an in-flight emergency.

The bomber headed back toward Diego Garcia in hope of landing there, but 15 minutes after declaring an emergency the crew decided they had to eject, Capt. Steele said. They parachuted onto calm seas at about 10:30 p.m. (11:30 a.m. EST).

Diego Garcia is about 2,500 miles from Afghanistan.

The USS Russell's home port is Pearl Harbor, Hawaii. The ship's commanding officer, Cmdr. Hank Miranda, told reporters that "everything worked like clockwork" once he got word of the crew's location.

Sign up for Daily Newsletters

Copyright © 2019 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times welcomes your comments on Spot.im, our third-party provider. Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.


Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide