- The Washington Times - Friday, December 14, 2001

Terrorism suspect Zacarias Moussaoui, the first person indicted in the September 11 attacks on America, yesterday was ordered transferred to Virginia to stand trial.
U.S. District Judge Barbara Jones in Manhattan ordered Mr. Moussaoui, 33, to be moved to Virginia, where he will be tried on six counts of conspiracy in the suicide attacks on the World Trade Center and the Pentagon that killed more than 3,000 persons.
Mr. Moussaoui is scheduled for arraignment in the federal courthouse in Alexandria on Jan. 2. Yesterday's hearing was a procedural matter to transfer jurisdiction in the case from New York to Virginia. He has been in custody since his arrest Aug. 16 by FBI agents in Minnesota after he sought lessons at a Minneapolis-area flight school.
Handcuffed, shackled and wearing a gray T-shirt and tan slacks, Mr. Moussaoui stood quietly as Judge Jones also denied bail, saying there were "no conditions or combination of conditions that would safeguard the community."
A French citizen of Moroccan parents, Mr. Moussaoui nodded to the judge when asked if he understood his rights, but he did not enter a plea.
Mr. Moussaoui's court-appointed attorney, Donald DuBoulay, challenged the government on several issues, including its identification of his client, but the judge ruled that nothing that had been said would interrupt his transfer.
Outside court, Mr. DuBoulay told reporters he was going to "use every legal strategy we have to contest this matter," adding that he was "not going to roll over for them when they are trying to kill a man."
Asked if his client feared the potential death penalty, Mr. DuBoulay said: "He's not scared."
On Tuesday, a federal grand jury indicted Mr. Moussaoui on six counts of conspiracy, accusing him of plotting with Osama bin Laden and members of the al Qaeda terrorist network to murder thousands of people in the suicide strikes in New York and on the Pentagon.
Named as unindicted co-conspirators were bin Laden and al Qaeda members Ayman al-Zawahiri, head of the Egyptian Islamic Jihad; Moustaffa Ahmed al-Hawasawi, accused of providing funds to Mr. Moussaoui from banks in the United Arab Emirates; and Ramzi Binalshibh, also suspected of moving cash to Mr. Moussaoui.
The unindicted co-conspirators also included the 19 dead hijackers.
Four of the counts against Mr. Moussaoui could result in the death penalty.
The indictment also accused the al Qaeda network of conspiring to commit acts of terrorism, including aircraft piracy, the use of weapons of mass destruction and the murder of U.S. citizens. It said bin Laden operated terrorist training camps in Afghanistan; financed the purchase of the camps, along with explosives, weapons, and communications and electronic equipment; and paid for the worldwide travel of al Qaeda members.
The indictment also accused bin Laden of trying to obtain the components of nuclear weapons and ordering Americans to be attacked in Saudi Arabia, Yemen and Somalia.
Attorney General John Ashcroft, in announcing the indictment, said Mr. Moussaoui engaged in the "same preparation for murder" as the 19 hijackers who carried out the September 11 strikes. He said Mr. Moussaoui trained at an al Qaeda camp in Afghanistan, obtained flight training in the United States and received funding from sources in Germany and the Middle East.

LOAD COMMENTS ()

 

Click to Read More

Click to Hide