- The Washington Times - Monday, December 17, 2001

CHICAGO (AP) Scientists who worry about the spread of nasty germs from animals to people have found the opposite can also happen: Cats and dogs catch bad things from their owners.
Canadian researchers documented 16 cases of dangerous, hard-to-treat staph infections in horses, cats and dogs. They believe that all of them probably began with owners or veterinarians infecting the animals.
The germ is methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus called MRSA for short a microbe that until recently was seen only in hospitals, where it often spreads to elderly or especially ill people who have open wounds or tubes. Healthy people may carry it on their skin without getting sick.
"We've got some pretty strong evidence that owners were responsible for their companion animals developing MRSA soft tissue infections," said Dr. Donald E. Low, chief microbiologist at Mount Sinai Hospital in Toronto.
Dr. Low and colleagues presented the data yesterday at a meeting in Chicago of the American Society for Microbiology.
They found that the animals had resistant staph infections genetically similar to the ones that occur in people. In some cases, they showed, the animals got sick months after their owners caught identical germs.
Such transmission is often difficult to prove, but Dr. Shelley Rankin, a microbiologist at the University of Pennsylvania, believes vets are seeing it more often in domestic animals.
"People think it only goes one way, from animals to humans," she said. "This shows the other side of the story."
The first Canadian case researchers examined was a 9-year-old bishon frise operated on in January 2000 to remove an eyelid cyst. Despite antibiotics, the dog developed a lingering infection that turned out to be MRSA.
The dog's owner had undergone surgery in late 1999 for testicular cancer. While in the hospital, he, too, had caught MRSA. The researchers did genetic tests to compare the germs from man and dog.
The researchers believe veterinary clinics can also serve as a source of the bug just as hospitals spread the germ to sick people. Two cats and one dog with identical infections had all been treated at the same Quebec clinic. The team also documented two separate outbreaks of the infection involving eight horses.
Before the introduction of antibiotics, staph was such a big problem that sometimes wards and even entire hospitals had to be shut down. The advent of penicillin at first stopped the bug, but the bug quickly grew resistant. In 1960, methicillin became the standard treatment.
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention estimates about half of all hospital-acquired staph infections in the United States 80,000 annually are now resistant to methicillin, and they are often impervious to other antibiotics as well.

Sign up for Daily Newsletters

Copyright © 2019 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times welcomes your comments on Spot.im, our third-party provider. Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.


Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide