- The Washington Times - Saturday, December 29, 2001

Ken Klee scored just over two minutes into overtime last night, powering the Washington Capitals to a 3-2 victory over the Dallas Stars at American Airlines Center.
The winning play came down the left boards with Jaromir Jagr leading the charge. Klee picked up the puck and chipped it through goalie Ed Belfour's legs, Belfour turning in place and watching the puck skip over the goal line.
The victory was just the fifth this season in 20 road games for the Caps, who have lost 12 and tied three. Four of the five Washington road wins this season have come in overtime.
The win went to Craig Billington, who now has won two games within a two-week period. He played to give starter Olie Kolzig an extra day of rest.
Washington broke a four-game winless streak (0-3-1) but remains two games under .500 (15-17-6). It was also Washington's first win in Dallas in its last six tries and left the Stars at 6-8-4-2 in their new building and riding a four-game losing streak.
Washington received a huge scare 16 minutes into the first period when center Adam Oates found himself at the bottom of a tussle in front of Belfour. The Caps' center left the game after sustaining a cut on the left forearm and did not return until about seven minutes had elapsed in the second.
The Caps seemed more relaxed than they have been in some time, like a team that had been on a positive roll instead of one that had been struggling. They were more aggressive but in a more responsible fashion, taking the body in a strong way while avoiding many of the penalties that have plagued the club recently.
The two goalies were playing very well when Washington's Dmitri Khristich broke a scoreless tie on a heads-up play five minutes into the second period. Glen Metropolit passed out of the left corner to Matt Pettinger. The wing's shot was immediately rejected by Belfour, but he left the rebound in front, where Khristich was the uncovered trailer. He quickly lifted it into the netting for his fifth of the season.
The Washington lead lasted less than two full minutes. The Stars' Benoit Hogue let a wrister go from the left circle, and it deflected off a defender in front and slipped through Billington.
Jagr put Washington back on top 6:34 into the third with the Caps holding a two-man advantage. Jagr twice looked Belfour off, passing the first time and getting the puck right back. The second time he snapped off a wrist shot that zipped in over the goalie's left shoulder.
The Stars tied it on another deflection with just over six minutes left in regulation. Jonathan Sim let a slap shot go from just inside the blue line, the puck nicked Klee's stick and changed course just enough to escape Billington's grasp.
Meanwhile, the Caps got one of their injured players back when wing Dainius Zubrus returned after missing five games with a slight groin strain. With Zubrus back in the lineup, wing Joe Sacco was the healthy scratch up front.
On the blue line, Rob Zettler was inserted back in the lineup after sitting out for 12 games as the seventh defenseman.
Joe Reekie was a healthy scratch for the sixth time this season.

Sign up for Daily Newsletters

Copyright © 2019 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times welcomes your comments on Spot.im, our third-party provider. Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.


Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide