- The Washington Times - Friday, December 7, 2001

Suspected Ebola virus strikes again in Congo

KINSHASA, Congo Medical specialists from the World Health Organization flew to central Congo yesterday to investigate the deaths of 17 persons with Ebola-like symptoms, state radio said.

The deaths began Nov. 17 in Dekese, a small village about 435 miles east of Congo's capital, Kinshasa, U.N. officials said.

At least 30 persons including the 17 dead exhibited symptoms similar to Ebola, said Dr. Auguy Ebeja, who was with the international medical relief organization Doctors Without Borders.


Ford Library documents record role in East Timor

President Ford and Secretary of State Henry Kissinger gave the late Indonesian strongman Suharto the green light for the 1975 invasion of East Timor that left perhaps 200,000 dead, according to previously secret documents made available yesterday.

Mr. Kissinger had maintained that he learned of the plan at the airport as he and Mr. Ford prepared to fly home after meeting Suharto in Jakarta on the eve of the Dec. 7 thrust into East Timor, a former Portuguese colony.

Mr. Kissinger also has argued that any U.S. nod for the action should be seen in its Cold War context on the heels of the communist victory in Vietnam and amid U.S. fears that other "dominoes" might fall in Southeast Asia..


Prince Edward's wife has emergency surgery

LONDON Prince Edward's wife, Sophie, was airlifted to a hospital yesterday for emergency surgery, Buckingham Palace said.

Press Association, the British news agency, said she was "comfortable" after surgery for an ectopic pregnancy, which occurs when a fetus develops in a fallopian tube.

There had been no announcement that the 36-year-old Countess of Wessex was pregnant. She and her husband have no children.

LOAD COMMENTS ()

 

Click to Read More

Click to Hide