- The Washington Times - Sunday, December 9, 2001

Military link seen in anthrax scare
Senate Majority Leader Tom Daschle says he believes the deadly anthrax-laced letters mailed to Capitol Hill and media organizations were probably sent by someone who formerly worked with the military.
"I don't know that anybody can say with any authority that's what happened. But, I think, as we look at all the possibilities, that one has the greatest degree of credibility right now," the South Dakota Democrat said yesterday on CNN's "Novak, Hunt & Shields."
Mr. Daschle, whose office received a potent anthrax letter in mid-October, made those comments when he was asked if he places credence in reports suggesting that someone who was involved in the U.S. military's old biowarfare program may be behind the anthrax attacks that have killed five persons.
A report last week in the New York Times said the dry powder used in the anthrax attacks is "virtually indistinguishable" from that produced by the military before it shut down its bioweapons program. The newspaper cited federal scientists and a report prepared for a military contractor.

Americans divided over Taliban fighter
Americans are split on whether captured Taliban fighter John Walker Lindh should be tried for treason, but approval for the war on terror remains strong, according to a Newsweek poll.
Some 41 percent of the 1,003 adults surveyed said the 20-year-old Mr. Walker should face treason charges for fighting with Afghanistan's Islamic militia, according to results of the poll released yesterday by the weekly news magazine.
But 40 percent said he should only be tried if found to have committed specific crimes while fighting in the central Asian nation against U.S.-backed opposition forces.
The poll continued to show strong support for President Bush and his war on terror, including the U.S.-led military campaign in Afghanistan.
However, Mr. Bush's 82 percent job approval rating was at its lowest point since the September 11 attacks, but still some 30 percentage points higher than figures recorded prior to the attacks.

O.J. investigated for satellite TV theft
After raiding his home this week, federal investigators are building a satellite TV theft case against ex-football star O.J. Simpson, two law-enforcement sources told the Miami Herald, which published the report yesterday.
Agents from the FBI and the Drug Enforcement Agency searched Simpson's home after hearing him in wiretapped conversations with suspected members of an Ecstasy ring, the Herald said.
No Ecstasy was found at Simpson's home, but agents took satellite dishes they believe were wired to receive premium television channels without paying any fees, the paper said.

3-man crew moves into space station
CAPE CANAVERAL, Fla. Two American astronauts and their Russian commander moved into the International Space Station yesterday, settling in for a half-year stay.
The three men arrived aboard space shuttle Endeavour the day before, but did not have time to trade places with the space station crew that has been on board since August.

LOAD COMMENTS ()

 

Click to Read More

Click to Hide