- The Washington Times - Thursday, February 15, 2001

Rapper pleads guilty to weapons charge

MOUNT CLEMENS, Mich. Rap music superstar Eminem, who is nominated for four awards at next week's Grammys, has agreed to plead guilty to a charge of carrying a concealed weapon, prosecutors announced yesterday.

Marshall Mathers III, who performs under the stage name Eminem, faces up to five years in prison when he is sentenced on April 10. He was charged after an altercation in June outside a nightclub.

Combs confirms split with pop star Lopez

LOS ANGELES Valentine's Day was a heartbreaker for Sean "Puffy" Combs, who confirmed his breakup with singer-actress Jennifer Lopez.

"Mr. Combs confirmed that he and his love, Jennifer Lopez, have in fact broken up," his publicist Nathalie Moar said yesterday.

A breakup had been rumored for weeks. Mr. Combs has been on trial in New York on weapons and bribery charges stemming from a 1999 nightclub shooting, while Miss Lopez is promoting her new album "J.Lo."

Referee is jailed after attack on coach

ATLANTA A youth basketball referee, apparently angry that his calls had been criticized, slashed a coach with a knife after a game between 7- and 8-year-olds, police said.

Coach Jerry Sweeney, 48, needed 17 stitches and referee Oliver Wood, 46, was jailed on charges of aggravated assault after the attack Tuesday night at an elementary school gym in Fayetteville, an Atlanta suburb.

AIDS drugs may hinder safe sex, study says

SAN FRANCISCO People with AIDS who are taking powerful new anti-viral drugs are four times more likely to contract other sexually transmitted diseases than those not on the drugs, a sign the new treatments may be encouraging unsafe sex, a municipal study has found.

The study, carried out by the San Francisco Department of Public Health, provides the first objective data showing that advances in AIDS treatment could be undermining efforts at AIDS prevention, its author, Dr. Susan Scheer, said yesterday.

Black Caucus promotes Cuban medical offer

Members of the Congressional Black Caucus are looking for low-income minority students to apply for free medical study in Cuba at the invitation of Fidel Castro.

"We have people in the Bronx trying to identify students for the program," said Rep. Jose E. Serrano, New York Democrat. "This is an exciting idea, and I just hope that politics don't get in the way."

The plan to send as many as 500 low-income Americans to Cuba for medical study half would be black was hatched last year during a meeting in Havana between the Cuban dictator and members of the black caucus.

Under the six-year program, medical training, texts, uniforms, meals and housing would be free.

"The offer is a propaganda ploy by the dictatorship," said Stephen Vermillion, a spokesman for Rep. Lincoln Diaz-Balart, Florida Republican, a Castro critic.

Three found guilty in tourist's murder

LOS ANGELES Three persons were found guilty in a non-jury trial yesterday of murdering a German tourist during a botched robbery behind a beachfront hotel in Santa Monica, Calif., in 1998.

Los Angeles Superior Court Judge Lance Ito found gunman Lamont Santos, 23, and accomplices Roshana Roberts, 21, and Tyrina Griffin, 20, guilty of murder in the Oct. 12, 1998, shooting death of 50-year-old Horst Fietze. The accused trio had waived their right to a jury trial.

Evidence at the trial showed that Mr. Fietze had been strolling in the city's shopping district with his wife, Astrid Fietze, and another couple from Lobau, Germany. Griffin unsuccessfully tried to rob one of the two women, and Santos shot Mr. Fietze. The robbers then fled in a car driven by Roberts, as Mr. Fietze lay dying.

Roberts and Griffin each face from 16 years to life when sentenced while Santos could receive from 35 years to life.

LOAD COMMENTS ()

 

Click to Read More

Click to Hide