- The Washington Times - Monday, June 25, 2001

Metropolitan Police Chief Charles H. Ramsey said yesterday there is still no evidence to suspect foul play in the disappearance of Chandra Levy, one day after his detectives interviewed Rep. Gary A. Condit for a second time.
"We have nothing to show that theres anything other than a missing person right now. If we have any evidence at all that indicates that she met with foul play, perhaps committed suicide, or anything else, we will reclassify it," Chief Ramsey said yesterday on ABCs "This Week."
The chief downplayed the importance of Saturdays hour-long second meeting with the California Democrat, which he described as "somewhat useful."
"We got some additional information, but not a lot that would lead us to Chandra Levy, unfortunately," he said.
Across the dial, Executive Assistant Police Chief Terrance W. Gainer was interviewed on CNNs "Late Edition," where he disputed a theory that the Levy case may be related to some other unsolved cases in the metropolitan area.
"We have no other cases that fit these type of circumstances," Chief Gainer said. "Weve looked at that. Weve looked at the missing cases around this geographic area and across the United States, and nothing quite fits in."
Chief Gainer said police are proceeding as if Miss Levy is still alive and said that he and Chief Ramsey have pledged to Miss Levys parents that they would "treat this as if it was our own child."
But while District police were squelching theories and downplaying speculation surrounding the case, news organizations from the Sunday morning talk shows to the grocery store tabloids were giving the story of the congressman and the intern the full-blown scandal treatment.
This weeks developments, including the hiring of high-profile Washington lawyers and secret meetings involving police, parents and the congressman, were discussed at length on "Fox News Sunday" and NBCs "Meet the Press," while the nations top three weekly news magazines — Time, Newsweek and U.S. News & World Report — all hit the newsstands today with stories on the interns disappearance.
Time reports that D.C. police have been slow to follow leads, including obtaining the security videotape in Miss Levys apartment building. The videotape, which Chief Ramsey described as "very, very poor" quality, was automatically taped over.
"It was a week before we knew about the missing person. So unfortunately some of the evidence that we would have had, had we known sooner, we wont have available to us," Chief Ramsey said in the ABC interview yesterday.
Newsweek, meanwhile, reports police are examining Miss Levys emotional state at the time of her disappearance. The magazine says Miss Levy hoped to be hired by the Federal Bureau of Prisons after her internship ended but that she lost the position suddenly after incidentally revealing to a personnel official that she had completed course work for her masters degree in public administration in December. The internship was to have lasted no more than four months after her graduation.
The article cites friends who say Miss Levy felt disappointed because someone who could have helped her keep her position did not and that she was upset by a recent breakup with an unidentified male, possibly Mr. Condit. That, the magazine says, could have led Miss Levy to run away or perhaps commit suicide.
Newsweek also says police investigators have become suspicious of Mr. Condits denials of a relationship with the intern and wonder if he may be concealing details important to the investigation. However, it adds police have nothing that would tie the congressman to any foul play in the disappearance.
Grocery store tabloids also have jumped on the story, with the Star last week running a lengthy piece on Mr. Condits personal life and his reputation around Washington.
Mr. Condit, 53, has consistently denied any romantic relationship with Miss Levy, 24, whom he described in a statement as a "good friend." Miss Levy was last seen April 30 as she was planning to return to her Modesto, Calif., home to receive her diploma from the University of Southern California.
Her parents attempted to call her between May 1 and May 6, when they notified police in the District that she was missing. Detectives searched her third-floor apartment on 21st Street NW and found no signs of a struggle.
Money, credit cards and her drivers license were with her packed luggage.

Sign up for Daily Newsletters

Copyright © 2019 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times welcomes your comments on Spot.im, our third-party provider. Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.


Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide