- The Washington Times - Thursday, March 8, 2001

A 14-year-old boy with a history of robbery, assault and other charges has been arrested in the shooting that wounded another teen-ager outside Largo High School Tuesday.
Prince George's County, Md., police, acting on a tip, arrested Dominic White of Largo without incident about 1:30 a.m. yesterday.
He is being held without bond, charged as an adult with attempted first-degree murder, first-degree assault, second-degree assault, use of a handgun in the commission of a felony and carrying a deadly weapon on school property.
"This obviously was a troubled child, and indeed a child," said Audrey Scott, vice chairman of the Prince George's County Council.
State's Attorney Jack Johnson said he will seek a waiver to try the youth as an adult, but "it doesn't mean at all that he'll be prosecuted as an adult."
The appropriate punishment, Mr. Johnson said, would be placement in a juvenile facility until the boy is 21 years old.
Dominic already was on probation for attempted robbery, robbery, and two counts each of petty theft and assault dating back to July 1999, when he was 13 years old.
He is scheduled to go to court next month on charges of attempted theft and two counts each of assault and attempted robbery stemming from incidents in August 1999.
In this latest crime, a 17-year-old is in fair condition recovering from a gunshot to the abdomen, police said.
"This is the first incident of its kind," said Chief John S. Farrell. "Does this have any relationship to any of these other events in San Diego or Columbine? Unequivocally and absolutely no."
He added, "This does not involve gangs, groups or any such thing."
Chief Farrell said two teens walked into Largo High School at 505 Largo Road about 5 p.m. Tuesday to confront another youth about a dispute. School had been dismissed, but some students remained to hold a dress rehearsal for an upcoming fashion show.
The teens found the youth in the cafeteria, where a fight broke out and spilled outside the school. One teen pulled out a small-caliber handgun and shot the 17-year-old boy.
"He was definitely involved in the altercation," said county police Lt. Alicia Lockard, commander of investigations for District 2.
Federal agents from the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms are assisting county police in the investigation.
Principal Terence L. Taylor, who administered first aid to the victim, sent letters home with students yesterday announcing additional security and the cancellation of all after-school events this week.
The nature of the dispute is under investigation. Neither the accused gunman nor the victim are students at Largo High School, officials said.
Tuesday night, police got a phone tip from the CrimeSolvers hot line. CrimeSolvers offers cash rewards for anonymous information in crimes. The chief did not know if it was a student who called in the tip.
Largo High School, like most in the county, has two security officers assigned to it. Largo has two additional "investigators" and a county police officer, said Russell Tedesco, director of security for Prince George's schools.
Security personnel had left the school by about 4:30 p.m. Tuesday, he said.
"We are instructing our principals to review their security plans for after-school activities and also we will provide additional security for after-school activities throughout this school year," Superintendent Iris T. Metts said.
Largo High School does not use metal detectors at entrances, she said. The school has 25 to 30 exits, and it would be impossible to check every one of the more than 2,000 students coming and going.
Prince George's students carry ID cards, and all high schools have security cameras. Sometimes handheld metal detectors are used in the schools.
Two years ago, someone fired shots at Largo High School after students had been dismissed for the day and were waiting for buses. Nobody was hurt, though authorities found one slug inside the building and that another had struck the door of a pickup truck.
Even before the latest shooting, the school district planned a conference at Northwest High School in Hyattsville Saturday to address "chronically disruptive" students, Mrs. Metts said. Officials will discuss the feasibility of an alternative school for such students.
"When I was a kid and we had fights, we used fists," said Jay Nepa, president of the Prince George's County Civic Federation. "Today it's knives and guns."

Copyright © 2018 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times is switching its third-party commenting system from Disqus to Spot.IM. You will need to either create an account with Spot.im or if you wish to use your Disqus account look under the Conversation for the link "Have a Disqus Account?". Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.

 

Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide