- The Washington Times - Monday, May 28, 2001

JERUSALEM — In a new mediation effort that began hours after two car bombings rocked downtown Jerusalem, the U.S. Middle East envoy yesterday urged the Israeli and Palestinian leaders to implement a cease-fire and other recommendations of an international commission.
The blasts, claimed by Islamic militants, caused no serious injuries. But they rattled nerves hours before U.S. envoy William Burns visit, which marked the Bush administrations first foray into Israel-Palestinian shuttle diplomacy.
After yesterdays talks, Israels Channel Two TV reported the two sides agreed to resume meetings between security officials that had been suspended for months. There were also signs that Israel was edging toward agreeing to a freeze on Jewish settlement building after a cease-fire.
The State Department had been initially reluctant to follow the Clinton administrations hands-on efforts to end the clashes that began in September but appointed Mr. Burns on May 21 after the release of a report on ending the violence.
The inquiry commission, led by former U.S. Sen. George Mitchell, called for an end to violence and for a series of confidence-building measures, including a freeze on building in Jewish settlements in the West Bank and Gaza.
Yesterday, Mr. Burns met with Palestinian leader Yasser Arafat in the autonomous West Bank town of Ramallah and then went to talks with Israeli Prime Minister Ariel Sharon at Mr. Sharons Jerusalem residence.
Israeli Cabinet Secretary Gideon Saar said afterward that the "unilateral cease-fire" Israel announced last week would go on, but that Mr. Sharon told Mr. Burns "this 'letting it pass stage cant continue forever." Mr. Saar said Mr. Burns praised Israels restraint.
Mr. Burns condemned yesterdays car bombings and said he urged Mr. Arafat "to do everything possible to stop such attacks." He said his talks with Mr. Arafat centered on "how to implement the Mitchell report" and rebuild confidence between the two sides.
Israel had initially objected to the settlement clause of the Mitchell report, saying it would have to maintain some construction to account for "natural growth." There was also disagreement over timing — with Israel saying the confidence-building measures would have to follow a period of quiet and the Palestinians saying all the measures would have to be implemented at the same time.
Yesterday, Sharon spokesman Ranaan Gissin said unequivocally that Israel told Mr. Burns it "accepted and adopted" the Mitchell report. He made no specific reference to the settlement issue, saying only that the sequence of events must start with a "complete and unconditional cessation of hostilities," followed by a cooling-off period and then "confidence-building measures as the third stage."
Channel Two, citing Palestinian sources, reported that the Palestinians had said they would be willing to accept a declaration on a settlement freeze to coincide with a cease-fire. The implementation of the freeze would be delayed while the cease-fire holds, the report said.
Palestinian officials did not confirm the report, however. Arafat aide Ahmed Abdel Rahman said only that what was needed was a "package deal from A to Z."
Mr. Sharon, for his part, showed Mr. Burns what he said was evidence that Mr. Arafat was behind the recent spate of bombings, Israeli radio said.
In an effort to show the Palestinians are to blame for the violence, Israel last week announced its troops would initiate no actions and only fire back in life-threatening situations. The Palestinians dismissed the move as insincere. Gunfights have continued, and recent days have seen an upswing in bombing attacks in Israel.
The Palestinians said yesterday they had compiled a list of 45 incidents of Israeli aggression since the cease-fire was announced.
Even as mediation efforts began, Mr. Sharon faced pressure from hard-liners in his government to step up Israeli reprisals. Public Security Minister Uzi Landau told Israeli radio that the current approach has afforded Mr. Arafat a chance for "deluxe terror."
But Transportation Minister Ephraim Sneh, of the centrist Labor Party, said the United States should be allowed four days to persuade Mr. Arafat to rein in the violence before resuming military action.
Mr. Burns, currently U.S. ambassador to Jordan, was expected to continue his meetings with both sides today, Israeli and Palestinian officials said.
Mr. Arafat is expected to leave the region tomorrow for Moscow.
Since fighting erupted last September, 478 persons have been killed on the Palestinian side and 85 on the Israeli side.


Copyright © 2018 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times welcomes your comments on Spot.im, our third-party provider. Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.

 

Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide