- The Washington Times - Wednesday, November 28, 2001

South African arrives in Congo for talks
KINSHASA, Congo South African Defense Minister Mosiuoa Lekota arrived late yesterday in the Democratic Republic of Congo, where he was expected to hold talks with President Joseph Kabila on the formation of a peacekeeping force for the country's eastern province of Kisangani.
The minister also will meet U.N. special representative Amos Namanga Ngongi and leaders of the U.N. mission in the country.
Under U.N. proposals to demilitarize Kisangani, which has been held by rebel forces belonging to the Congolese Rally for Democracy since Aug. 23, 1998, the U.N. mission has to set up a peacekeeping force to maintain public order.
South Africa's army has been given the task of ensuring that this force is established.

Belgrade accused of shielding Bosnians
NEW YORK The top U.N. prosecutor accused Yugoslavia yesterday of shielding from justice the indicted Bosnian Serb wartime military commander, Ratko Mladic, and urged the international community to insist on his arrest.
Carla del Ponte, chief prosecutor of the U.N. war crimes tribunal for Yugoslavia, said she had the commander's address in Belgrade and told the 15-nation U.N. Security Council to insist on his arrest, as well as that of his fellow fugitive, former Bosnian Serb leader Radovan Karadzic.
Their continuing liberty "is an affront to the authority of this council, and mocks the entire process of international criminal justice," Mrs. del Ponte said.

Army moves against Nepal rebels
KATMANDU, Nepal Nepal's army has begun land and air operations against Maoist rebels for the first time, officials said yesterday.
Nepal on Monday imposed a state of emergency and deployed the army to clamp down on the Maoists after they broke a four-month cease-fire on Friday and set off a series of attacks that left 200 rebels and around 80 soldiers and policemen dead.
The government in the past has held back from using the army against the Maoists for fear that it would lead to civil war.
But following the breakdown of the cease-fire and the heavy loss of life, the government asked King Gyanendra to impose an emergency and mobilize the military.
The guerrillas began their struggle in 1996 to overthrow the constitutional monarchy and introduce a republic.

Mass grave exhumed in Macedonia
SKOPJE, Macedonia Specialists have completed exhumations from a mass grave in northwest Macedonia, but work on identifying the human remains found there is continuing, a NATO spokesman said yesterday.
Digging at the site began Nov. 21 under the supervision of observers from the Organization for Security and Cooperation in Europe (OSCE), the U.N. war crimes tribunal and NATO troops.
On Sunday, investigating magistrate Aleksandra Zafirovska announced that human remains, including bone pieces, had been found at the grave


Copyright © 2018 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times welcomes your comments on Spot.im, our third-party provider. Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.

 

Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide