- The Washington Times - Friday, November 9, 2001

Firefighters added to Trade Center site
NEW YORK Trying to soothe frayed nerves, city officials have agreed to increase the number of firefighters at the World Trade Center site, and police said yesterday they expect no more arrests from last week's clash between firefighters and police officers.
Five officers were injured and more than a dozen firefighters were arrested when a rally protesting the reduction in the number of firefighters at the site turned rowdy on Nov. 2. Three more were placed under arrest Wednesday after surrendering.
The decision came after a meeting Wednesday among police, fire and city officials, in which it was agreed that more firefighters would be allowed onto the site to recover remains, one of the sources said.

Navy ends search for wreck victim
HONOLULU The Navy has ended its recovery effort at the site of the Ehime Maru wreck, giving up hope of finding the ninth and final victim of a collision involving a U.S. submarine and the Japanese training fishing vessel.
Divers involved in the $60 million effort were unable to locate the remains of Takeshi Mizuguchi, a 17-year-old Uwajima Fisheries High School student, Rear Adm. William Klemm, the operation's commander, said Wednesday. Mr. Mizuguchi's family was informed Tuesday that the search was being called off, Adm. Klemm said.
Family members had given 24 pink roses to Navy officials to thank them for their efforts.

Settlement reached in boy's death
CHICAGO The Chicago Housing Authority and a management company have agreed to pay $2.1 million to the family of a 5-year-old boy who was dropped to his death from a vacant high-rise apartment.
The family of Eric Morse had sought $60 million in damages from the housing authority and Diversified Realty Group Inc. for the boy's 1994 death.
The settlement was reached Wednesday, a day before a retrial of the family's lawsuit was to begin. A mistrial was declared in June after a jury deadlocked.
Two boys, ages 10 and 11, dropped Eric out the window of a vacant 14th-floor apartment in a public-housing complex because he refused to steal candy for them.

Punctured barge leaks gasoline
LOUISVILLE, Ky. A barge that was punctured after it rubbed against a metal barrier leaked at least 2,000 gallons of gasoline into the Ohio River, prompting police to close off several downtown streets.
Coast Guard Petty Officer Todd Betteridge said the river was shut down late Wednesday from the Interstate 65 bridge to the McAlpine Locks.
No injuries were reported and there had been no evacuations.
Crews worked yesterday to transport the remaining gasoline in the barge to another vessel before it leaks out. Attempts to plug the leak had been interrupted by darkness.
The entire barge held 1.5 million gallons of gasoline, and the leaking tanks held 315,000 gallons, U.S. Coast Guard Lt. Steve Garcia said.

Attorneys reveal disputed affidavit
DAYTON, Ohio Attorneys for a man facing execution for a slaying he denies committing turned over a previously undisclosed statement yesterday from another man who is claiming responsibility for the killing.
John W. Byrd Jr., 37, was sentenced to death in the slaying of a Cincinnati-area convenience store clerk in 1983.
Years after Byrd's conviction, John Brewer, who was with Byrd at the store, confessed to the slaying in affidavits in 1989 and again in January.
Byrd's attorneys had held back the 1989 document because it was not relevant to their appeals at the time, which were not based on Byrd's innocence.


Copyright © 2018 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times welcomes your comments on Spot.im, our third-party provider. Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.

 

Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide