- The Washington Times - Saturday, October 13, 2001

Professor backs down on attacks remarks
ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. A tenured University of New Mexico professor told students just after the terrorist attacks Sept. 11 that "anyone who can blow up the Pentagon has my vote." Within days, he had strangers threatening his life and three state legislators and a university regent demanding his job.
Richard Berthold conceded he was wrong to make the comment he now calls "a callous attempt at a joke," but he said that the university is limited in what it can do to him.
"I don't deserve to be fired. I'm not going to quit," he said. "I'm tired of being pilloried for one stupid remark after 29 years of teaching."

Court rules on twins born to surrogate
BOSTON Massachusetts' highest court unanimously declared yesterday that a couple whose twins were born to a surrogate mother were the children's legal parents from the moment of birth.
Marla and Steven Culliton had gone to court before the twins' July 23 birth, asking that their names be put on the original birth certificates. A Family Court judge refused to allow it, but ordered that the birth certificates be left blank until the issue was settled.
The Supreme Judicial Court's 7-0 decision yesterday allows the Cullitons' names to appear on the original birth certificates.

Reservist shoots 4 before being killed
FORT DIX, N.J. A military police reservist shot and wounded two soldiers at Fort Dix, then fled the base and shot two police officers before police killed him, authorities said yesterday.
The gunman had been told this week he would be relieved of duty pending a psychological evaluation, base spokesman Kryn Westhoven said.
Two military police officers accompanied the man to clean out his locker yesterday afternoon, he said. The gunman grabbed a .38-caliber rifle, shot one of the officers and ran off.
Minutes later, the gunman struggled with another military police officer, shot him and stole the officer's 9 mm service pistol, Mr. Westhoven said.

Gun-control advocate shot to death
SEATTLE A federal prosecutor who headed a prominent gun- control group in his spare time was shot in his home and died early yesterday.
Thomas C. Wales, 49, died about 1:15 a.m. yesterday at Harborview Medical Center. He had been shot in the neck and the side late Thursday, a hospital spokeswoman said.
Authorities believe Mr. Wales was targeted, and not a victim of random violence, Police Capt. Brent Wingstrand said yesterday.
"Any number of personal, business or professional issues" could have prompted the slaying, he said.
The FBI is offering $25,000 for information leading to a prosecution.

Sign up for Daily Newsletters

Copyright © 2019 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times welcomes your comments on Spot.im, our third-party provider. Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.


Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide