- The Washington Times - Tuesday, October 30, 2001

School shooter commits suicide in jail
SAN DIEGO An 18-year-old student who admitted to wounding five persons at his high school in March committed suicide early yesterday, hanging himself in his jail cell.
Jason Hoffman was found dead in his cell at San Diego's Central Jail shortly before 1 a.m. yesterday, officials said.
Last month, Hoffman pleaded guilty to six felony counts for the March 22 shooting at Granite Hills High School in suburban El Cajon. He was to be sentenced Nov. 8, and faced at least 24 years in prison.

Observation deck of Sears Tower reopens
CHICAGO Former President George Bush helped reopen the observation deck of the nation's tallest building yesterday.
The sky deck at the Sears Tower had been closed since the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks.
Now, visitors must pass through metal detectors and have their bags checked by X-ray machines.
Mr. Bush joined Mayor Richard Daley and others in officially reopening the observation deck on the 103rd floor, which is one of Chicago's most popular tourist attractions, drawing more than 1.3 million visitors a year.

Suspect enters plea in lewd-behavior case
MIAMI Francisco Arce Montes, the Spaniard suspected of raping and killing a British girl in France in 1996, pleaded not guilty yesterday to charges of lewd and lascivious behavior.
Mr. Arce Montes, wanted in France for the murder of Caroline Dickinson, cannot be extradited until he stands trial next year for the Florida offense.
He was arrested in March and charged with breaking into a woman's hotel room in Miami Beach and exposing himself.

Judge allows tanker to enter Boston Harbor
BOSTON A federal judge cleared the way yesterday for a liquefied natural gas (LNG) tanker to enter Boston Harbor, ruling that the city did not show enough proof that the tanker could be a threat.
Mayor Thomas M. Menino had asked the judge to ban the tanker from entering the harbor because of fears of a possible terrorist attack.
LNG tankers had been banned from the harbor since the Sept. 11 terror attacks, but the U.S. Coast Guard lifted the ban Oct. 16.

Parents protest laptop requirement
PALO ALTO, Calif. Parents of students at a middle school are upset after officials asked them to buy their sixth-graders $2,000 laptops.
Two weeks ago, more than 300 parents got a letter from the Jordan Middle School principal asking them to buy laptops with wireless Internet access as part of a new technology program.
The purchase was described as optional, but enrollment in the program was not.
"An optional program is never really optional," said parent Steve Weinstein, who started an e-mail campaign against the program.
"There are a lot of people who don't have $2,000 to spend, but they are going to be forced into it because it's the Palo Alto way."

Boston Strangler reburied after tests
PEABODY, Mass. Albert DeSalvo, the self-confessed Boston Strangler, was reburied by his family yesterday after his body was exhumed for tests to resolve doubts over whether he killed 13 Boston women in the 1960s.
DeSalvo's body was exhumed Friday and taken over the weekend to a forensic laboratory at York College in Pennsylvania where scientists plan to conduct DNA tests.
"The point of the investigation is twofold," attorney Elaine Whitfield Sharp said. "To find evidence that he did not commit the crimes and to find out who murdered him."
DeSalvo confessed to killing 13 women between 1962 and 1964 but was never convicted of the crimes. In 1973, while serving a life sentence on other charges, he recanted his confession. Shortly after, he was fatally stabbed in his cell.

LOAD COMMENTS ()

 

Click to Read More

Click to Hide