- The Washington Times - Wednesday, October 31, 2001

BALTIMORE (AP) Four young Baltimore men charged with the kidnapping death of a Glen Burnie pharmacist pleaded not guilty yesterday and asked for jury trials.
All face first-degree murder charges for the death of Yvette Beakes, a 26-year-old Anne Arundel County woman who was on her way home from a downtown Baltimore bar when she was carjacked.
The killing prompted the firing of two 911 dispatchers who police said failed to relay to officers descriptions reported by a witness.
The attorney for one defendant, Larry Walker, 16, also filed a motion saying her client was not criminally responsible for the carjacking because of mental deficiencies that prevented him from knowing the difference between right from wrong at the time of the killing.
Defense attorney Margaret Mead said the Walker youth has emotional problems that have never been treated, and he tends to follow stronger personalities in a group.
"He's one of the tragic city kids that can fall through the cracks," she said after the hearing. "He's not a bad kid. He doesn't have a history of violence against other people."
Miss Mead asked the court yesterday to allow her client to undergo psychiatric evaluation.
Prosecutor Sharon Holback read a motion seeking life without parole for one of the men, Jamal D. Barnes, 23. Miss Mead described Mr. Barnes as the ringleader of the group.
Prosecutors have not said what sentences will be sought for the other defendants.
The Walker youth, Mr. Barnes, 15-year-old Brian Wilson and Brian McMillan, 18, have all been charged as adults and remain jailed. A Feb. 8 trial date was set for the four, who made their first appearance before a circuit judge on yesterday.
Miss Beakes' mother cried throughout the 10-minute hearing. Friends of the victim also attended, sitting away from family members of the four young men.
Prosecutors say the young men followed Miss Beakes late on Aug. 8 as she left Pickles Pub in downtown Baltimore and rammed her car as she neared her home.
When she got out to check the damage, they put a gun to her neck, shoved her into their van and drove away.
Police said the Wilson youth then took Miss Beakes' car, and the group stopped at several automated teller machines, withdrawing cash from Miss Beakes' bank account.
Several hours after kidnapping Miss Beakes, three of her attackers drove her to Baltimore, took her into the woods and shot her in the head, prosecutors said.
Besides murder, all face carjacking and kidnapping charges.

Sign up for Daily Newsletters

Copyright © 2019 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times welcomes your comments on Spot.im, our third-party provider. Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.


Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide