- The Washington Times - Monday, September 10, 2001

JERUSALEM — Arab militants unleashed a wave of attacks yesterday against Israel, including a suicide bomber who homed in on soldiers and civilians getting off a crowded train, blowing himself up and killing three Israelis.
The surge of violence, which included four retaliatory missile strikes by Israeli helicopters, threatened to scuttle possible truce talks aimed at ending more than 11 months of Middle East violence.
Overall, militants staged two bombings, one attempted bombing and a lethal drive-by shooting. Five Israelis were killed along with three Arab militants who died while carrying out the attacks. About 40 Israelis were wounded.
The rapid-fire attacks took place within a few hours, unusual even by the standards of the current conflict. Three separate groups claimed responsibility for violence that stretched from the northern town of Nahariya on the Mediterranean coast to deep inside the West Bank and to the Gaza Strip in the south.
From Israel's perspective, the suicide attack at the train station in Nahariya was particularly significant because police said the suspected bomber was an Israeli Arab man, Mohammed Saker Habashi, 55.
Israeli Arabs, who account for more than 1 million of Israel's 6.5 million citizens, have long complained of discrimination and are deeply sympathetic to the Palestinian cause. They took part in protests at the beginning of the uprising nearly a year ago.
But they have been implicated only rarely in attacks against Israel, and no Israeli Arab has previously acted as a suicide bomber. If they were to stage bombings and shootings, it would vastly complicate Israel's security problems.
Israeli Arabs live inside Israel proper, and do not face tough restrictions on their movements, as do the 3 million Palestinians living in the West Bank and Gaza.
Soldiers and civilians stepped onto the platform as the train pulled into the station in Nahariya yesterday morning, the beginning of the Israeli work week. It was at that point that the bomber moved forward and detonated his explosives.
"I was standing nearby, and I heard a great explosion. It took me a minute to come to my senses, and then I saw glass everywhere and I saw people running like crazy," witness Avi Levy told Israeli television. "People were crying and hysterical."
Police and ambulances rushed to the scene, taking more than 30 persons to hospitals, though most had relatively minor injuries.
Mr. Habashi had links to the radical Islamic group Hamas, which has carried out many suicide attacks against Israel in recent years and claimed responsibility for yesterday's bombing in phone calls to Arab television channels.
Meanwhile, Palestinian leader Yasser Arafat and Israeli Foreign Minister Shimon Peres have been trying to arrange truce talks for nearly three weeks, but the daily violence has undermined efforts. The two are expected to meet in coming days, but yesterday's upheavals again raised political tensions.
The Israeli government blamed Mr. Arafat for failing to halt the attacks. "The Palestinian Authority is doing nothing to stop these bombers," said Israeli spokesman Arye Mekel.
The Palestinian leadership rejected the Israeli charge. "The Palestinian leadership repeats its condemnations of all attacks that target civilians, whether Palestinians or Israelis."
In other violence yesterday:
A Palestinian gunman in a jeep sprayed automatic rifle fire at a van carrying Israeli teachers to schools in the West Bank. Two Israelis — the driver and a woman teacher — were killed and four teachers were injured in the shooting in the Jordan Valley, police said. The radical group Islamic Jihad claimed responsibility, a Palestinian television station reported.
A car bomb exploded at a stoplight at a busy intersection in central Israel, near Netanya. The Palestinian driver was killed and five vehicles, including a bus, were set on fire, police said. Three persons were hurt. Police speculated that the driver was heading to Netanya, the scene of several previous attacks. It was not clear whether the driver intentionally detonated the bomb, or if it went off prematurely.
Israeli troops fired on three Palestinians who were attempting to plant a bomb near a border fence in the Gaza Strip, the Israeli army said. One Palestinian was killed, a second was wounded, and the third escaped, according to the army and the Palestinians. The militant Democratic Front for the Liberation of Palestine claimed responsibility in an anonymous phone call.
Israel responded with helicopter missile strikes at four different sites in the West Bank, damaging buildings in each instance, but causing no injuries.
The helicopters hammered two buildings belonging to Mr. Arafat's Fatah movement and the affiliated Tanzim militia in the West Bank city of Ramallah. The Israelis also pounded Palestinian security offices in Jericho and Kabatiya.

Sign up for Daily Newsletters

Manage Newsletters

Copyright © 2020 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.

Please read our comment policy before commenting.


Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide