- The Washington Times - Monday, September 10, 2001

BALTIMORE That smoke signal you see coming out of south Baltimore is not from a train wreck, but an SOS from the Baltimore Ravens looking for a running back.

The Super Bowl champs rushed 30 times for only 54 yards in their 17-6 victory over the Chicago Bears yesterday.

Terry Allen carried the ball 20 times for 37 yards (1.9 avg.) and one touchdown. At halftime, the Ravens had only 14 yards rushing and quarterback Elvis Grbac was the leading runner with two scrambles for 12 yards.

When asked what his mindset was going into the second half with Grbac as the leading rusher, Allen replied, "My mindset is why are you asking me a question about Elvis as the leading rusher? That's my mindset. Just kidding. I was disappointed with what went on in the first half."

Allen scored the 71st rushing touchdown of his career on a fourth-quarter, 1-yard run around right end that gave the Ravens a commanding 17-6 lead.

Replacement officials

Not a good day for the fill-ins in Baltimore. Early in the second quarter, the Bears appeared to be called for an illegal snap, whatever that is, until referee Joseph Rider turned on his microphone and told the sellout crowd to disregard the flag.

Rider then forgot to turn off his microphone and the crowd could hear the confusion coming from the officiating crew and the colorful language from the Ravens huddle. Rider's inability to properly operate his microphone continued over the next seven plays.

Rider would leave his microphone on during a play with a flag and turn it off when explaining the penalty.

"Right before I took the last timeout [of the game], I talked to the head ref and I asked him how his day went," Grbac said. "He said the pace was just a little quick for him. You could see at certain times they were really getting in a committee and trying to decide what they were going to call."

Super celebration

The Ravens celebrated last January's Super Bowl XXXV victory before the game. David Modell, the Ravens president and chief operating officer, carried the Vince Lombardi Trophy from the locker room to the 50-yard line, where 30 fans were chosen to pass it along a receiving line. When the trophy reached owner Art Modell, fireworks exploded from both end zones.

Sign up for Daily Newsletters

Manage Newsletters

Copyright © 2020 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.

Please read our comment policy before commenting.


Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide