- The Washington Times - Saturday, September 15, 2001

D.C. Mayor Anthony A. Williams last night lifted the state of emergency he imposed Tuesday after terrorist attacks on the Pentagon and World Trade Center, ordering the District to remain in a heightened state of alert for 10 days.
"There still exists a significant concern that terrorist groups or individuals may engage in violence in the District of the kind that occurred September 11," Mr. Williams said in a order that ended the state of emergency at midnight yesterday.
"The agencies of the District government subordinate to the mayor shall continue to take all precautions and other steps necessary to protect life and property in the District of Columbia against terrorist violence."
The National Guard has stepped down from its posts throughout the District, and streets around the White House, U.S. Capitol and downtown will reopen to commuters, said Margret Kellems, deputy mayor for public safety.
Miss Kellems said the heightened state of alert lessens mayoral emergency powers, while reserving the mayor's right to "procure funds for what's needed, without having to go through the normal procurement process."
"It's fair to say we do not feel the same level of threat we have felt for the last two or three days," she said.
Meanwhile, global-capitalization protesters are leaning toward canceling demonstrations at the end of the month against the International Monetary Fund and the World Bank in the wake of terrorist attacks, sources within the movement said.
Leaders will discuss today canceling a major demonstration planned for Sept. 29 and 30 outside the IMF and World Bank buildings in Northwest. Leaders of the movement believe that it would be inappropriate to hold the demonstration in the wake of the deaths of thousands in New York and Washington when terrorists crashed three airliners into the Pentagon and World Trade Center twin towers.
"We are leaning towards canceling or curtailing the protests," said an organizer. "There are so many people in the movement that are devastated by the events of the last week."
In addition, the Ruckus Society canceled its action camp planned for today and tomorrow in Middleburg, Va. The camp was designed to prepare demonstrators for the Washington protests and was sponsored by the Institute for Policy Studies, Jobs with Justice and Global Exchange.
"Like everywhere, we are shocked and appalled by the horrific acts of terrorism that occurred on September 11," Nicha Anand and Han Shan, Ruckus organizers, said in a prepared statement. "We unequivocally condemn these abominable attacks.
"All our organizations believe that now is not the time to proceed with our action camp," the statement said.
They also said they hope U.S. leaders will seek "justice rather than revenge" for the terrorist attacks.
The organizations also canceled three press conferences and several workshops planned for this past week.
Sources said White House officials have been pressuring the World Bank and the IMF to call off the meetings, a request the international organizations are expected to honor early next week.
D.C. police Chief Charles H. Ramsey also recommended the meetings be canceled because of security concerns, saying he felt it was unwise, given the current situation, to convene a large number of foreign dignitaries in the city.
Police had anticipated violence at the meetings and were planning to blockade parts of downtown with a 9-foot-high fence and Jersey walls to keep protesters away.
Police were also anticipating additional violence from anarchists — especially members of the Black Bloc, who wear masks. The group has been accused of setting fires and threatening police during demonstrations in Canada and Italy.
Security got stiffer and traffic got slower yesterday in the District as the Secret Service further expanded the White House perimeter.
Special Agent Tony Ball, a Secret Service spokesman, said additional streets had to be closed around the White House to provide better security.
He also said that anyone entering the area had to have identification that indicated they worked in buildings inside the area or had an appointment.
"You have to have some type of identification to show you work there," he said.
The streets closed are E through H streets between 15th and 18th streets NW. Fifteenth and 17th streets between E and H streets were also closed.
Mr. Ball said the street closings will remain in effect indefinitely.
The entrances to two Orange and Blue line Metrorail stations were closed yesterday because of the expanded White House perimeter, said Cheryl Johnson, Metro spokeswoman.
The 17th Street exit at Farragut West was closed, forcing passengers to use the exit at 18th and I streets NW. The entrance was reopened at 12:20 p.m.
The Vermont Avenue station of McPherson Square was closed all day, but the 14th and I streets NW entrance remained open.
The Secret Service said the White House perimeter could change.
Metro also sent two busloads of bottled water, luncheon meat, bread and snacks donated by employees to rescue workers digging through the damaged Pentagon.
Guy Taylor contributed to this report.

Sign up for Daily Newsletters

Manage Newsletters

Copyright © 2020 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.

Please read our comment policy before commenting.


Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide