- The Washington Times - Wednesday, September 19, 2001

Plane evacuated in false alarm
Exactly a week after a plane hijacked from Washington Dulles International Airport crashed into the Pentagon, more than 200 passengers were evacuated from a Northwest airliner minutes before takeoff last night at the airport.
The jet was surrounded by FBI agents and local authorities. But there was no hijacking attempt and no emergency just a misunderstanding.
A Northwest Airlines spokesman said a member of the cabin crew mistakenly declared an emergency as the DC-10 was preparing to leave for Amsterdam.
Flight 36 was canceled, and the passengers were taken to hotels.

Gall withdraws her nomination
After being rejected by a Democrat-controlled committee, Consumer Product Safety Commission member Mary Sheila Gall has quietly asked President Bush to withdraw her nomination to lead the agency.
Democrats on the Senate Commerce Committee voted as a bloc against Miss Gall, a Republican, and her nomination lost on a party-line 12-11 vote last month.
"She feels that the rejection by the committee was a partisan political vote and that at this stage she wants to get on with her life, her family and her job here," Gall spokesman Dennis Wilson said last week.
Committee Democrats said she too often favored business over consumer safety.

Base commanders seeking security help
Numerous U.S. military base commanders are asking the Pentagon for help in strengthening base security and building defensive structures like barriers and fences, the head of the Army Reserve said yesterday.
Lt. Gen. Thomas Plewes said in an interview that he expects to assign as many as 150 reservists to assist the Army Corps of Engineers in construction projects at bases. He did not say which bases had requested such help, but he indicated it was widespread in response to last week's terrorist attacks.

Cincinnati police are vague on details
CINCINNATI Police testifying in the trial of a white officer who fatally shot a fleeing, unarmed black man say they are having trouble remembering details of the killing that touched off riots.
Officer Robert Kidd Jr. acknowledged in court yesterday that he has told different accounts of what Officer Stephen Roach said just before and after shooting 19-year-old Timothy Thomas on April 7.
The death touched off the city's worst racial violence since the Rev. Martin Luther King's assassination in 1968, and led to a citywide dusk-to-dawn curfew to restore order. Dozens of people were injured and more than 800 were arrested.
Officer Roach, 27, has pleaded not guilty to misdemeanor charges of negligent homicide and obstructing official business. If convicted of both charges, he could face up to nine months in jail.

Jury selection begins in murder case
HOUSTON Jury selection started yesterday for a proceeding to decide if a woman accused of drowning her five children in their bathtub is fit to stand trial.
Andrea Yates, 37, is accused of two counts of capital murder for the deaths of three of her five children at their home in June. Her attorneys contend she is not guilty by reason of insanity.

Sign up for Daily Newsletters

Manage Newsletters

Copyright © 2020 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.

Please read our comment policy before commenting.


Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide