- The Washington Times - Tuesday, April 16, 2002

Up late last night doing your income taxes? Feeling a little hung over this morning?
Join the crowd.
The Office of Management and Budget reveals that Americans spent 1.5 billion more hours this past year complying with federal paperwork requirements than they did a decade ago. The average American household now dedicates 24 hours per year to federal paperwork.
"The American people are spending more time than ever before dealing with federal red tape," Office of Information and Regulatory Affairs Administrator John D. Graham tells us.
Roughly 80 percent of the overall burden is attributable to the 17,000-page federal tax code. Much of the remaining 20 percent of paper is shuffled to Americans by the Health and Human Services and Labor department and the Environmental Protection Agency.

Cost of living
"We've all gathered together today on this notorious April 15th, that day in every year where we've got to come to terms with what seems to be Uncle Sam's insatiable appetite for our money."
House Majority Leader Dick Armey of Texas, joining like-minded lawmakers on Capitol Hill yesterday for a Republican National Town Hall Discussion on tax simplification

Not in my back yard
Patriotism hasn't stirred everybody in this country including one alderwoman in the historic city of Alexandria, where George Washington recruited his first military command in 1754.
Alexandria City Council member Joyce Woodson, a Democrat, is questioning why the terrorists who struck this nation are having their court dates in the once-sleepy port city on the Virginia side of the Potomac River outside Washington.
"Why do these trials have to be here?" Mrs. Woodson inquired at the most recent Alexandria City Council meeting. "I do not believe that it is our patriotic duty to support the decision to have them here."
Her outspoken comment is at odds with Rep. James P. Moran of Virginia and Mayor Kerry Donley, also Democrats, the latter informing Inside the Beltway recently: "I feel it's our patriotic duty as Alexandrians to rise to the occasion and to ensure that justice is carried out."
American Taliban fighter John Walker Lindh and terrorism suspect Zacarias Moussaoui both are being tried at the federal courthouse in Alexandria, which has a reputation as a "no-nonsense" court and where the U.S. government historically has sent its high-profile national-security cases.
In fact, FBI double agent Robert P. Hanssen is locked up in the same Alexandria jail as Lindh and Moussaoui.

Cause to celebrate
They say April is the cruelest month, and that is certainly the case when it comes to feminist holidays.
So claim the women yes, women of the Independent Women's Forum (IWF).
Today, April 16, happens to be Equal Pay Day the day women's wages supposedly catch up with men's.
April 26 is Take Our Daughters to Work Day (now expanded to include sons and renamed Take Our Children to Work Day).
To celebrate both days, the IWF presents an accurate snapshot of women's place in society, a report card on where women stand in society. And contrary to feminists' claims, American women are earning high marks:
Education: A
"Today, American women outpace men educationally, earning the majority of bachelor's degrees and master's degrees, and they are projected to earn the majority of doctoral degrees within a generation. Moreover, women earn better grades than men in high school and college, and continue to enter previously male-dominated fields in steady numbers."
Wages: A
"The Equal Pay Act of 1963 guarantees equal pay for equal work regardless of sex. Today, similarly qualified men and women earn the same wages. In fact, as a recent study by the Employment Policy Foundation (EPF) reveals, women sometimes outearn their male counterparts. The Current Population Survey found that single women who live alone and have full-time jobs earn 28 cents more than similarly situated men."
Workplace Flexibility: B-
"A growing number of employees today value time as much as money, and that is particularly true of women, to whom flexible work arrangements are very appealing."
Women and the Law: B
"Women now make up half of all students entering American law schools."
Retirement/Social Security: C-
"Because women live longer and, over the course of their lives, earn less, they receive only 75 cents to a man's $1 in Social Security benefits. And, married working women lose their ability to qualify for both a spousal benefit and their own individual benefit. Widows, too, are burdened by severe cuts in their benefits upon the death of their spouse."

Copyright © 2019 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times welcomes your comments on Spot.im, our third-party provider. Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.


Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide