- The Washington Times - Sunday, April 21, 2002

Suspected IRA hit list found by police
BELFAST Police have found a suspected Irish Republican Army list of targets, which includes British lawmakers and army bases, the government and police chief said Friday, but they added that the outlawed group is not preparing to break its cease-fire.
The discovery, made three weeks ago and revealed Friday, sent shock waves through Northern Ireland's fragile peace process.
Police said they found the documents during pre-Easter raids on the homes of IRA suspects in Belfast. They were looking, in vain so far, for anti-terrorist intelligence records stolen March 17 from a police base.

Catholic bishop expelled from Russia
MOSCOW Jerzy Mazur, a Catholic bishop based in the Siberian city of Irkutsk, was expelled Friday from Russia, a diplomatic source said.
Bishop Mazur, a Polish national, was returning to his diocese after a trip to Warsaw when Russian border guards canceled his visa and put him on board the first plane bound for the Polish capital, the source said.
Officials declined to give any reasons, saying only that Bishop Mazur was on their blacklist.
Earlier this month, a Catholic priest from Italy suffered a similar fate when his Russian visa was taken out of his passport upon his return to Italy. His requests for a Russian visa have since been declined.

Ex-SS officer questioned over Polish pogrom
WARSAW Investigators have traced and questioned a former SS officer over a World War II pogrom in Poland to determine whether a local mob or invading Nazis were responsible for the massacre.
German prosecutors interviewed Hermann Schaper, 90 and previously thought dead, over the killing of hundreds of Jews in the town of Jedwabne on July 10, 1941, a Polish war-crimes investigator said Friday.
Mr. Schaper, who held the rank of Hauptsturmfuehrer (captain), commanded a Gestapo police unit in a part of eastern Poland captured by Nazi forces from the Red Army after Hitler attacked the Soviet Union.

Marathon's slowest finishes after 5 days
LONDON A man who entered the London Marathon wearing a 120-pound deep-sea diving suit, including lead-soled boots, a metal helmet and collar, finally shuffled across the finish line on Friday five days after he began.
Finishing in 128 hours, 29 minutes, 46 seconds, Lloyd Scott posed no challenge to the marathon's winner Moroccan-born American Khalid Khannouchi, who whizzed around the course last Sunday in a world-record time of just over two hours.
Mr. Scott, 40, was even pipped at the post by one of the race's oldest participants. Jenny Wood Allen, 90, blazed across the finish line in comparison in less than 12 hours.
But the former firefighter and professional soccer player did raise about $144,000 for a children's cancer and leukemia fund.

Copyright © 2019 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times welcomes your comments on Spot.im, our third-party provider. Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.


Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide