- The Washington Times - Wednesday, April 24, 2002

Prince George's County police don't yet know what motivated a man to go on a shooting spree with a semiautomatic pistol before leading police on a chase through the District late Monday night.
Ortez Kaz Marshman, 23, of Landover had a pair of binoculars strapped around his neck when Prince George's County and D.C. police officers tackled him on the Capital Beltway after he smashed his car into a Jersey barrier about a mile east of the Woodrow Wilson Bridge.
Police said an undercover officer watched Mr. Marshman, 23, go on a 10-minute shooting spree at about 11 p.m. in Landover that wounded four persons.
After the shootings, the man drove over one of the victims with his Lincoln Continental, then took off recklessly speeding through sidestreets before heading southbound on Interstate 295 with a flock of police cars on his tail.
"If I were a victim last night, I would consider myself a victim of an act of domestic terrorism," acting Prince George's County Police Chief Gerald M. Wilson told reporters at a news conference yesterday.
Police did not release the names of the victims two males and two females who were taken to Prince George's Hospital Center. One of the victims was in critical condition, another in stable condition and two were treated for minor gunshot wounds and released, police said.
During the 25-minute car chase, during which a police helicopter held a spotlight on the Lincoln, the driver flung out the window a Tec-9 semiautomatic assault pistol believed to have been used in the shooting spree, Prince George's Police Sgt. Alan MacQuillan said.
When he crashed the car, Mr. Marshman tried to flee but was quickly surrounded by police officers. In the car they found a .40-caliber Glock handgun, a stun gun and several grams of marijuana, Sgt. MacQuillan said.
"We haven't determined what his motive was," Capt. Darrin Palmer said. "We're not aware of any traffic incident [that might have provoked] the shootings."
Police said they intend to charge Mr. Marshman with five counts of attempted murder, wearing and carrying a handgun and possesion of narcotics.
He originally told police his name was Diante Yawn and that he was from Lanham; thus he also will be charged with giving a false statement. Mr. Marshman is named on an outstanding warrant for a breaking and entering charge.
Capt. Palmer said it is possible more severe charges will be brought when the case is reviewed by a state's attorney because of the high-powered nature of the weapons recovered by police.
The Tec-9 is a gun that "will fire as fast as you can pull the trigger," according to a police officer. Police yesterday recovered 15 spent bullet cases from along Landover Road in addition to several bullets that hadn't been fired.
Sgt. MacQuillan described the shooting spree as "general chaos." It is believed to have started in the 7400 block of Landover Road, where Mr. Marshman is suspected of firing at three persons climbing out of a vehicle.
The shots missed, but moments later, Mr. Marshman sped down to the corner of Pinebrook Avenue and Landover Road, where he fired the Tec-9 again this time hitting a male and a female walking on the sidewalk, police said.
He sped away again, this time slowing along Hawthorne Street, about a block south of Landover Road, where he fired at a vehicle with four persons inside, police said. The shots missed and the vehicle sped off, with Mr. Marshman close behind.
Moments later, at the corner of Landover and Matthew Henson roads, uniformed officers with Prince George's County police arrived and watched as the victims' car crashed and Mr. Marshman lept from his Lincoln and again started shooting.
Two of the passengers were shot as they fled on foot. Mr. Marshman then got back into his car and ran over one of them before speeding away toward the District, police said.
The whole episode took about a half-hour before police corralled Mr. Marshman near the Wilson Bridge.
Mr. Marshman was hospitalized for injuries he sustained in the accident but was later released to police custody, police spokesman Capt. Andy Ellis said.

Copyright © 2019 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times welcomes your comments on Spot.im, our third-party provider. Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.


Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide