- The Washington Times - Thursday, April 25, 2002

BALTIMORE Georgetown entered yesterday's game with 10th-ranked Loyola needing a victory to bolster its NCAA men's lacrosse tournament hopes. The sixth-ranked Hoyas not only got the victory, they routed the Greyhounds 15-6 before 3,413 at Curley Field.
The blowout put Georgetown in solid shape for one of the six at-large bids for the 12-team playoffs. The Hoyas (10-1) have victories against No.7 Cornell and No.5 Duke with games remaining at Rutgers and No.2 Syracuse. They probably just need to beat the Scarlet Knights to gain their sixth straight NCAA tournament.
"We knew our backs were against the wall," said junior Kyle Sweeney, who played close defense after being at defensive midfield all season. "We just have to play our way in."
Georgetown dominated every facet of the game with Loyola (8-3), which beat the Hoyas 11-9 in the NCAA tournament's first round last year. The Hoyas had a 56-31 edge in ground balls, didn't fail on a clear and won 15 of 25 faceoffs to get their first win against the Greyhounds since Loyola joined Division I in 1982.
The Hoyas were put in this must-win position after losing the ECAC title and the league's automatic bid Saturday to No.8 Massachusetts 16-13. The Minutemen were last year's ECAC runner-up but did not get an at-large berth, and the Hoyas received an automatic bid.
Less than five minutes into the second quarter, the Hoyas led 7-1, and they were up 11-2 at halftime. Georgetown scored on more than half of its 21 first-half shots and won 10 of 15 faceoffs, controlling time of possession. Loyola managed just seven first-half shots. When it did shoot, Georgetown goalie Scott Schroeder played well. He stopped 10 for the game.
"We wanted to come in and send a message," said Hoyas attackman Steve Dusseau, who scored four goals and notched two assists. "It was tough getting in a [8-1] hole like it was against UMass and trying to crawl your way back out. It was about the exact opposite today. We just wanted to make sure when we were up, we kept it that way and kept working."
Georgetown led 13-2 before Michael Sullivan scored Loyola's first second-half goal with 13:14 to play.
Loyola was led by Sullivan's two goals. Midfielder Walid Hajj added three goals and an assist for the Hoyas, who also got two goals each from Phil Vincenti and Trevor Walker.
The loss put Loyola's playoff hopes in jeopardy. The Greyhounds will have to win at No.1 Johns Hopkins to close the season and hope it's enough for a berth. Loyola has wins over No.11 Hofstra and Duke but fell to Butler and No.2 Syracuse.
Even with the win, Hoyas coach Dave Urick is not ready to guarantee a postseason bid.
"I just don't think there's a comfort level for anybody," Urick said. "There are too many teams scrambling for those precious few spots. I think Virginia, Hopkins and Syracuse are on pretty solid ground. There's three spots left, and the math doesn't work."

Copyright © 2019 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times welcomes your comments on Spot.im, our third-party provider. Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.


Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide