- The Washington Times - Sunday, April 28, 2002

KANSAS CITY, Mo. Baltimore Orioles designated hitter David Segui, who injured his left hand during a play at the plate Friday night, missed last night's game against the Kansas City Royals. The injury is not considered serious.
Two rounds of X-rays on Segui's hand one after Friday's game, one yesterday came back negative, but continued swelling kept the veteran from playing.
Segui hurt himself sliding into Royals catcher Brent Mayne in the third inning of Baltimore's 10-5 victory at Kauffman Stadium. It was first announced that Segui had been stepped on by Mayne, but replays appeared to show him hitting his palm on Mayne's shin guard, near the hamate bone.
"He had pain in the portion of your hand where the hamate is," Orioles manager Mike Hargrove said yesterday. "And just do be on the safe side, we sent him back to have it re-examined and make sure they didn't miss anything."
Segui's status remains day-to-day.

Rough start for Douglass
Although Sean Douglass wasn't making his big league debut Friday night (he made four starts last season), the rookie right-hander certainly looked like a first-time major leaguer against Kansas City.
Douglass, who turns 23 today, was roughed up for three runs in 3⅔ innings. More troubling were the six walks he issued.
Douglass was recalled from Class AAA Rochester after Jason Johnson went on the disabled list with a broken middle finger. Barring some unforeseen change of events, he'll remain in the rotation for at least one more start.
Despite the shaky outing, Douglass got no decision after the Orioles rallied to tie the game in the seventh and then won it with five runs in the 10th.
"[Fridays performance] doesn't thrill you, but it doesn't worry you too much, because he's got good stuff and he does throw strikes," Hargrove said. "It happens. You sure don't want it to happen two times in a row, but it happens."

Say something, please
Hargrove wasn't pleased with Jorge Julio's 10th-inning performance Friday, not because the rookie closer loaded the bases with two outs before finishing off the game but because he failed to inform the coaching staff of a nasty blister on his finger.
"He never said a word to anybody about it until after the game," Hargrove said. "I told him afterwards, 'You've got to tell people. Because if that's the case, you don't pitch. We'll pitch somebody else, especially with a five-run lead.'"

Extra bases
The Orioles signed veteran infielder Alex Arias to a minor league contract and sent the 34-year-old to Sarasota, Fla., for four days before he'll report to Class AAA Rochester. Arias, a career .266 hitter over 10 major league seasons, was released by the Seattle Mariners this spring. "He's experienced, and that's important to have in case we need an extra player," vice president of baseball operations Syd Thrift said.
Jeff Conine had his 14th career four-hit game Friday night, going 4-for-5 with two doubles and two RBI.

LOAD COMMENTS ()

 

Click to Read More

Click to Hide