- The Washington Times - Sunday, August 11, 2002

FREDERICK, Md. A Cold War scientist's survivors said they are closing the door on his mysterious death nearly 50 years after he plunged 13 stories days after unwittingly taking LSD in a CIA mind-control experiment.
Family members who have long believed the government killed Frank R. Olson said they have substantiated their theory to their satisfaction, even though the people they believe are responsible will never stand trial.
"We feel done," son Eric W. Olson, 57, told reporters at a news conference held in the back yard of the family home. "We've got to get on with life here, and it's time to rebury our father."
Frank Olson's remains, exhumed in 1994 as part of the family's investigation, were buried yesterdaybeside his wife, Alice, in Mount Olivet Cemetery, Eric Olson, a psychotherapist, said.
The CIA vehemently denied on Thursday the family's claim that its agents killed Mr. Olson by throwing him out a New York hotel window on Nov. 28, 1953, to keep him from revealing secrets about torture of Cold War prisoners and biological weapons used in the Korean War.
"That's absolutely untrue and totally without foundation," CIA spokesman Mark Mansfield said.
He said CIA activities regarding Frank Olson's death had been thoroughly investigated by the 1975 Rockefeller Commission and others.
The family originally was told that Mr. Olson, a microbiologist at Fort Detrick, the Army's biological weapons research center in Frederick, had fallen or jumped out the window of the Statler Hotel.
In 1975, a commission headed by Vice President Nelson Rockefeller released a report on CIA abuses that included a reference to an Army scientist who had jumped from a New York hotel room days after being slipped LSD in 1953.
Outraged family members, recognizing the scientist as Frank Olson, threatened to sue the government. President Ford invited the family to the White House, where he assured them they would be given all the government's information about Frank Olson's death.
Shortly afterward, CIA Director William Colby gave the family documents regarding the agency's investigation of the incident, and the family accepted a $750,000 settlement to avert a lawsuit.

Sign up for Daily Newsletters

Copyright © 2019 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times welcomes your comments on Spot.im, our third-party provider. Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.


Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide