- The Washington Times - Wednesday, August 14, 2002

One month after her son was nearly killed by a pipe bomb in a Northwest parking garage, a Dallas woman said she is more concerned about his recovery than the police quest for justice.
"In order to get the answers and to get a full investigation of who did this, I've just got to go along with knowing very little in the process," Claire Phillips said.
Her son, Wright Sigmund, has been in and out of Washington Hospital Center since a July 12 blast ripped away his right buttock and left him in critical condition with third-degree burns.
The blast happened as he was leaving to run an errand for his father, Donald Sigmund, a wealthy insurance broker. The young man was driving his father's sport utility vehicle, and Metropolitan Police Department investigators said the elder Mr. Sigmund may have been the target of the attack.
Now police said they want to talk to Wright Sigmund's half-brother, Prescott W. "Scott" Sigmund, 34, of Potomac, who reportedly argued with his father about money and debt.
"We have no idea what his involvement is or if there is any involvement," Mrs. Phillips said. "We're all worried about all aspects of this."
Prescott Sigmund has not been seen since three days after the explosion. His abandoned car was found July 21 in a Metro station parking garage in Vienna.
Meanwhile, his younger brother struggles to recover from the blast. He has undergone 14 surgical procedures and is in physical therapy designed to improve his mobility.
Mrs. Phillips watches, fighting back tears as her son, a former Texas high school wrestling standout, screams in pain as he walks a 350-foot corridor. He pulls along with him an intravenous dispenser of medicine.
"As long as he's in this hospital with burns and wounds, bacteria is a very serious problem," Mrs. Phillips told the Associated Press.
Wright Sigmund is being treated by the same medical team that worked with some of the most seriously wounded survivors of the September 11 terrorist attack on the Pentagon. They compared the young man's injuries to the type of wounds servicemen received in Vietnam.
Much of the shrapnel lodged in his tailbone, and doctors found remnants of it in his tissues as late as this week. Still, physicians consider him lucky that no internal organs were damaged.
He faces reconstructive surgery over the next several months, which will delay his return to Virginia's Washington and Lee University for his senior year.

Sign up for Daily Newsletters

Manage Newsletters

Copyright © 2019 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.

Please read our comment policy before commenting.


Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide