- The Washington Times - Saturday, August 17, 2002

Moussaoui trial pushed to January

A federal judge yesterday postponed for three months the trial of September 11 conspiracy suspect Zacarias Moussaoui until Jan. 6, concluding the evidence was too complex and voluminous to begin testimony this fall.

U.S. District Judge Leonie Brinkema's order agreed with the positions of Moussaoui, who is representing himself, and a team of court-appointed lawyers asked by the judge to remain on the case.

She ruled against prosecutors, who favored the previous schedule of jury selection beginning Sept. 30 with testimony to begin by mid-October.

Moussaoui, 34, a French citizen, has said that his strict conditions of confinement made it impossible to prepare a defense under the original schedule.


Hijackers' remains pose a dilemma

Among the human remains painstakingly sorted from the Pentagon and Pennsylvania crash sites of September 11 are those of nine of the hijackers.

The FBI has held them for months, and no one seems to know what should be done with them. It's a politically and emotionally charged question for the government, which must decide how to dispose of some of the most infamous men in American history.

"I think in Islam, you're supposed to be buried whole, so I would take them and scatter them all over the place," said Donn Marshall, whose wife, Shelley, died at the Pentagon.


Retired general: 'War game' was rigged

A retired general who commanded "enemy" forces in a recently concluded $250 million U.S. war game says the exercise was rigged so that it appeared to validate new war-fighting concepts it was supposed to test.

Paul Van Riper, who headed the Marine Corps Combat Development Command when he retired in 1997 as a three-star general, said he became so frustrated with undue constraints on his command of "enemy" forces that he quit the role midway through Millennium Challenge 2002, which ended Aug. 15.

His complaints were reported yesterday by the Army Times, which obtained a copy of an e-mail Gen. Van Riper sent to colleagues explaining why he had quit.


Judge wants more proof in American Taliban case

A federal judge yesterday demanded that the government give him more evidence than the "sparse facts" it has provided so far to explain why it is holding an American-born man captured in Afghanistan late last year.

U.S. District Judge Robert Doumar rejected the government's motion to dismiss a request to release Yaser Esam Hamdi, who was born in Louisiana to Saudi parents and later moved to Saudi Arabia. Hamdi, 21, has been held in the Norfolk Naval Station brig since April 5.

Judge Doumar said the government must give him more evidence including statements made by Hamdi and the troops who captured him, as well as the date of his capture by 4:30 p.m. Wednesday.


Gov. Bush's appointee criticized for essay

TALLAHASSEE, Fla. Gov. Jeb Bush drew criticism yesterday after his choice to head Florida's child welfare agency was tied to an essay that says spanking hard enough to cause welts is OK and married women shouldn't have careers.

Democrats hoping to oust the Republican governor quickly turned the appointment of Jerry Regier as Department of Children and Families secretary into a political issue.

Mr. Bush, who is seeking a second term this fall, defended his choice and said Mr. Regier's background was thoroughly checked. He said he did not know about the essay.

Mr. Regier said he didn't write the essay by the Coalition on Revival Inc., a group he broke his relationship with because of its extreme interpretations of the Bible.

LOAD COMMENTS ()

 

Click to Read More

Click to Hide