- The Washington Times - Sunday, August 25, 2002

JERUSALEM Israeli troops patrolling the West Bank city of Jenin killed one Palestinian militant and wounded two others in a shootout yesterday, hospital officials said, in one of several clashes overshadowing an agreement turning over to Palestinians some Gaza Strip security duties.
A member of Al Aqsa, linked to Yasser Arafat's Fatah movement, said the three militants opened fire on the troops, who returned fire.
An Israeli tank also fired on stone-throwers in Nablus, injuring six persons, Palestinian witnesses said, while Israeli troops and Palestinians clashed on Nablus' outskirts after an Arab-Jewish peace group tried to deliver food to Palestinians living under curfew for more than two months.
About 400 peace activists from the Israeli Jewish-Arab peace group Taayush, or Coexistence, tried to deliver food to Palestinians in Nablus yesterday, but their vehicle convoy was stopped at an army checkpoint.
Keren Akoka, a group member, said Taayush was trying to bring baby food and medical supplies to the Palestinians living under curfew.
Military officials said the demonstrators, all Israeli citizens, were blocked by the army because they had not coordinated their entry into Palestinian areas with the army's civil administration. The supplies would be allowed through when the demonstrators dispersed, they said.
Shortly after violence broke out in September 2000, the government banned citizens from entering Palestinian areas without permission because of security fears.
The army also said a patrol was shot at in Nablus and that a tank shelled the source in return. Israeli military officials did not say whether there were any casualties.
In the Gaza Strip, the army demolished three Palestinian houses it said Palestinian militants used as cover in an attempt to infiltrate a Jewish settlement.
Also yesterday, the Israeli army entered a Palestinian police station in the West Bank town of Hebron and arrested a man, whisking him away blindfolded and handcuffed in an armored personnel carrier, witnesses said.
Late yesterday, Al Aqsa members said they fatally shot a Palestinian woman suspected of collaborating with Israel. The bullet-riddled body of Ikhlas Yassin, 35, who was kidnapped Friday, was found lying in the street in the West Bank town of Tulkarm.
The agreement giving security control in some Gaza Strip areas to the Palestinians is a trial for easing harsh Israeli restrictions imposed in the West Bank after a spate of suicide bombings in Israel.
Israel turned over security duties to Palestinian forces in the West Bank town of Bethlehem this week and was to take similar measures in Gaza.

Sign up for Daily Newsletters

Copyright © 2019 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times welcomes your comments on Spot.im, our third-party provider. Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.


Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide