- The Washington Times - Saturday, August 31, 2002

Prince George's County police say law enforcement forces along the East Coast are assisting in an aggressive manhunt for James Ramiah Logan, who is wanted in the fatal shootings of two Prince George's County Sheriff's Department deputies Thursday night.
"Mr. Logan is believed to be armed and extremely dangerous he remains at large," said Chief Gerald Wilson of the Prince George's County Police Department, which is leading the investigation.
An arrest warrant was issued yesterday for Mr. Logan on two counts of first-degree murder, and a man described as a witness was detained, Prince George's County police said.
"At the time of the shootings, we believe there were three people other than the accused who were in the residence. That is the accused's father, the accused's mother and another individual who we have located," Chief Wilson said. The man's identity was not released.
Police said other witnesses told them they saw Mr. Logan, 23, open fire with a handgun at close range on Cpl. James V. Arnaud and Deputy Sheriff Elizabeth L. Magruder moments after the deputies had arrived at his parents' home in Adelphi around 9:30 p.m. The deputies were going to take Mr. Logan into custody with an emergency psychiatric warrant, which his wife apparently had sought because of his erratic behavior in recent days.
Cpl. Arnaud, 53, of North Beach, died at the scene, and Deputy Sheriff Magruder, 30, of Clinton, died at Prince George's Hospital Center a short time later.
Mr. Logan, who fled the scene immediately after the shootings, is described by police as a fair-skinned black man, 5 feet 11 inches tall, weighing about 160 pounds.
Police said he has a history of arrests for robbery, and court records show that he received a two-year suspended sentence for forging two checks totaling $8,069.67 from a Silver Spring software company in 1999.
Mr. Logan was armed with a handgun when he fled, Chief Wilson said. "Whether or not he may have armed himself since last night with some other weaponry is unknown to us."
Crime Solvers and Prince George's County police are offering up to a $1,000 reward for information leading to Mr. Logan's arrest and indictment.
Early yesterday, the silver-colored Dodge Charger that police said Mr. Logan used to flee from the crime scene turned up on Edgefield Drive in the Powder Mill area of Beltsville. Throughout the day, investigators were focusing their manhunt in that area.
The car was found only a few miles from the home where the shooting occurred. The suspect's parents, James and Karen Logan, live with their two college-age children in the 9300 block of Lynmont Drive in Adelphi. It was not clear where the suspect was living.
Neighbors on Lynmont Drive were shocked that the shootings had occurred in the Logans' home. One neighbor, who asked not to be identified, said whenever she ran into the Logans, they were "just lovely people they would always smile."
Mr. Logan's parents let Cpl. Arnaud and Deputy Sheriff Magruder into the home about 9:30 p.m. The deputies found the suspect in the basement, and after a brief struggle he ran upstairs and hid in a bedroom. The deputies were trying to talk him out of the room when he flung open the door and shot them, according to charging documents.
Police sources said Cpl. Arnaud was shot twice first in the throat and then in the chest from less than 7 feet away as he stood in a hallway near the bedroom, and Deputy Sheriff Magruder was shot in the back of the head from less than 10 feet away while attempting to retreat.
Law enforcement authorities will review whether Cpl. Arnaud and Deputy Sheriff Magruder followed proper procedures, the sources said.
"They were caught by surprise. It was a very quick and violent event," Prince George's County Police Capt. Andy Ellis, a spokesman for the county police department, told reporters at a news conference.
"Any time an officer goes to serve an emergency petition where someone is alleged to have been exhibiting some type of bizarre behavior, those going to apprehend that individual are going to be on a heightened state of alert," Chief Wilson told reporters at a news conference.
Cpl. Arnaud, who would have turned 54 today, was a 13-year veteran of the sheriff's department. Deputy Sheriff Magruder was in the middle of her second year on the force and was the mother of a 3-year-old son. Their deaths mark the first fatalities among Prince George's County law enforcement officers since 1998, and Chief Wilson said they are among the worst ever recorded in the county.
As word of the shootings spread on Thursday night, more than a hundred law enforcement officers gathered at the entrance to the Prince George's Hospital Center. Dozens of state troopers, municipal police, sheriff's deputies and others crowded outside the emergency room, some crying, others hugging, mostly in silence. Later, they held a group prayer.
During the gathering, Sheriff Alonzo D. Black described the killings as "the most serious tragedy that has ever occurred to the office of sheriff."
Prince George's County Executive Wayne K. Curry added: "Two of our officers have made the ultimate sacrifice of their lives."
H.J. Brier and Jim Keary contributed to this article, which is based in part on wire service reports.

Sign up for Daily Newsletters

Copyright © 2019 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times welcomes your comments on Spot.im, our third-party provider. Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.


Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide