- The Washington Times - Monday, August 5, 2002

Potomac Electric Power crews worked through last night to restore electric power to 6,000 customers cut off by thunderstorms that blew through the Washington metropolitan area Saturday evening.
In Montgomery County, rescue workers stood by a Silver Spring care center all day because the outage posed a threat to the health of some of the 150 inhabitants.
But managers and employees in Woodside Center at 9101 Second Ave. made necessary adjustments to take care of the residents, said Pete Piringer, information officer for the county's Fire and Rescue Department.
Strong winds downed trees and utility poles 24 hours earlier, causing about 62,000 homes and businesses to lose power in the Washington metropolitan area.
At the worst, Pepco reported 44,000 outages. Last night, crews continued to repair 2,300 outages in Prince George's County, 2,300 in the District and 1,400 in Montgomery County.
Dominion Virginia Power reported about 18,000 outages after the storm, but only about 100 remained at noon yesterday. By late afternoon, all power was reported restored, said spokesman Don Genest.
The strongest winds were recorded at Manassas Regional Airport.
The National Weather Service reported the airport had 67 mph winds strong enough to knock over two small planes and cause damage to a building.
A tethered blimp also broke free and crashed at the airport. There were no reported injuries.
Immediately after the storm, two men were reported killed. Michael Paul Palmer, 55, was struck by lightning on the deck of his Frederick, Md., home. D.C. resident Tony Eason, 35, died after a tree fell on a car in which he was riding at 17th and E Streets SE.
Throughout the metro area, residents yesterday were seen cleaning up over-runs of drains, as well as twigs and leaves blown from trees and bushes.
Many trees and limbs still lay in yards.
"It made a lot of noise," said Muthana Busxil, 25, a cashier at Kim Texaco Service Station, referring to a big tree that fell behind the station in the 1100 block of Pennsylvania Avenue SE.
Cleanup crews removed a "good bit" of a tree that fell in the street near 10th Street and Pennsylvania Avenue SE, but a lot of debris remained, said Nick Kaplanis, manager of the nearby Fragers Hardware store.

Copyright © 2018 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times welcomes your comments on Spot.im, our third-party provider. Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.


Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide