- The Washington Times - Wednesday, August 7, 2002

ISLAMABAD, Pakistan Three men who said they had been involved in an attack on a missionary school were blown up by a grenade they carried yesterday at a checkpoint, police said.
Police in Pakistan-controlled Kashmir said they stopped three men for a routine check yesterday on a road near Dherkot, about 25 miles northeast of Murree, where masked gunmen killed six Pakistanis at a school for children of foreign Christian missionaries on Monday.
Police overpowered one of the men when he resisted efforts to search him. One of his companions threatened to explode a grenade if the other was not released. Police said the men told them, "We are not your enemy. We are the ones who killed the nonbelievers in Murree."
Police agreed to release them, and the three men began running toward the nearby Jhelum River. Suddenly, the grenade exploded, blasting two of the men into the river. The body of the third was recovered on the riverbank.
"These are the same attackers," Kashmir police Officer Haji Syed Haseeb Hussain said, referring to the Murree assailants.
He said the men were dressed in clothing similar to that worn by the Murree assailants and that police recovered a grenade similar to those recovered at the Murree campus.
Police recovered grenades, knives and ammunition clips along the path where the suspects made their escape after the attack, officials said yesterday. Police say they believe at least one attacker was wounded, because a trail of blood was found along the escape route.
The discovery of weapons indicated that the attackers, believed to have numbered up to four, may have planned to kill students at the Murree Christian School or take them hostage had they not been driven off by campus security guards on Monday.
A note found at the scene warned that the assailants "will do more in the future to avenge what is being done by infidels with Muslims all over the world," according to a Pakistani military intelligence officer.
"It would appear that they had every intention of staying a lot longer and doing a lot more damage," school Director Russell Morton told New Zealand's National Radio.
Classes were suspended yesterday for the 150 students, who included Americans, Australians, Europeans and New Zealanders. The school's board met yesterday in emergency session to consider whether to close.
The school, founded in 1956 to educate children of missionaries in South Asia, shut down soon after the September 11 attacks but reopened in February.
The attack began shortly after students had resumed classes after morning recess.
Staff members locked the door to the kindergarten, which the attackers tried to enter, and at least one security guard returned fire.
None of the students was injured. All of the dead were Pakistani. Two security guards, a receptionist, a cook, a carpenter and a bystander were killed.
The attack was the sixth against Westerners or Western interests in Pakistan since the war against terror began last year and the third against Christians since October, when 16 persons were killed in an attack on a Protestant congregation in central Pakistan.
A grenade attack on a Protestant congregation in Islamabad on March 17 killed five persons, including an American woman and her 17-year-old daughter.

Sign up for Daily Newsletters

Copyright © 2019 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times welcomes your comments on Spot.im, our third-party provider. Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.


Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide