- The Washington Times - Friday, February 22, 2002

LAS VEGAS (AP) Mike Tyson will not be charged with sexual assault in two cases in Las Vegas, prosecutors said yesterday.
"It was simply unclear whether the sexual interaction between each of the two alleged victims and Mr. Tyson was consensual or forced," Clark County prosecutors wrote in a letter sent to the Las Vegas police.
Prosecutors said there was no question sexual relations occurred between Tyson and the two women, but said there was "no possibility whatsoever" to successfully prosecute Tyson.
"His position, of course, is it's consensual. Their position is, of course, it's not," Clark County District Attorney Stewart Bell told the Associated Press. "It's just not clear. It could have been either. I don't suppose we'll ever really know the truth."
Ten prosecutors reviewed the evidence gathered since police began investigating Tyson in September. They said the police investigation was so thorough that there was nothing more police could have done, or do in the future, that would warrant charges.
"We are grateful that the Clark Country District Attorney's Office conducted an independent review of both cases and did not rely solely on information gathered by the police department," Tyson's lawyer, Darrow K. Soll of Phoenix, said in a statement.
"Our parallel investigation reveals what we believe to be substantial evidence of Mr. Tyson's innocence."
Tyson himself won't comment, spokesman Scott Miranda said.
Police sought arrest warrants from prosecutors for Tyson on multiple counts of sexual assault in each case.
"I'm not going to talk about whether I'm surprised or disappointed or whatever," said police Lt. Jeff Carlson, who heads the sexual assault unit. "It's our job to investigate the facts. I'm proud of the investigation that the detectives did."
In the first case, police began investigating Tyson in mid-September, after a Las Vegas woman went to a hospital with injuries that she said were suffered when the boxer raped her at his home.
Chief Deputy District Attorney Doug Herndon has said the woman had been in a six-month romantic relationship with Tyson.
Police searched Tyson's $1.3 million home for more than six hours on Sept. 26 and confiscated several boxes of material, including videotapes, sheets and towels.
The second woman went to police Dec. 28 and reported that she also had been attacked at Tyson's home in November 2000. The woman initially went to police near her out-of-state home and reported that she had been raped, Las Vegas police said.
The police department the woman first contacted never reported the case to Las Vegas police, who have not identified the first agency.
In 1992, Tyson was found guilty of rape in Indiana and served three years of a 10-year sentence.

Copyright © 2018 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times is switching its third-party commenting system from Disqus to Spot.IM. You will need to either create an account with Spot.im or if you wish to use your Disqus account look under the Conversation for the link "Have a Disqus Account?". Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.


Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide