- The Washington Times - Saturday, February 23, 2002

Top Mexican drug boss believed killed
CIUDAD HIDALGO, Mexico Mexico's attorney general said yesterday that officials were investigating whether one of the FBI's 10 Most Wanted fugitives, suspected drug boss Ramon Arellano Felix, had been killed.
Attorney General Rafael Macedo de la Concha said he could not rule out the possibility that a man whose body was missing after he was fatally shot by police was Arellano Felix.
The Noroeste newspaper in Culiacan, 640 miles northwest of Mexico City, reported yesterday that he had been killed during a shootout with Sinaloa state police on Feb. 10 in the tourist resort of Mazatlan.
U.S. and Mexican police agencies determined that Arellano Felix came to Mazatlan on Feb. 5 with a plan to kill a rival, Ismael Zambada Garcia, Noroeste reported.

Saddam baits U.S. on threatened ouster
BAGHDAD In response to media reports of a U.S. plot to focus on Iraq in the war on terrorism, Iraqi President Saddam Hussein said the United States should seek to overthrow his regime, not target his nation for destructive air strikes.
"We give our support … to the option of overthrowing the regime a civilized slogan which is better than attacking, striking the population, harming it and destroying its resources," Saddam said yesterday during a meeting with military officials marking the Muslim holiday of Eid al-Adha.
Iraq's official INA news agency also reported Saddam as saying, "These threats are not new and do not deserve a response."

U.S. suspends talks with Sudan government
The State Department has suspended all negotiations with Sudan on solving its 19-year conflict with the southern rebels until Khartoum provides an explanation for the second attack this month on civilian targets.
"We have asked for an explanation of how one part of the government can negotiate with the United States an agreement to end attacks against civilians while another part of the government is deliberately targeting civilians," State Department spokesman Richard Boucher said Thursday.
He was responding to confirmed reports that Sudanese helicopter gunships attacked a U.N. World Food Program site on Feb. 20.

Maoists massacre 40 in Nepal offensive
KATMANDU, Nepal Maoist guerrillas killed 40 persons in attacks across Nepal after the government extended a state of emergency prompted by the deadliest assault of the rebellion less than a week earlier, officials said yesterday.
Most of the deaths resulted from a rebel attack on a police post in the remote Sallyan district in western Nepal, killing 34 policemen and wounding 15 others late Thursday.

Copyright © 2018 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times is switching its third-party commenting system from Disqus to Spot.IM. You will need to either create an account with Spot.im or if you wish to use your Disqus account look under the Conversation for the link "Have a Disqus Account?". Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.

 

Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide